swap meet in Etobicoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster1

Reaction score
Hey freaks: will there be a swap meet in Etobicoke again this year? If so what day? I went last year and I liked it and am looking to go again.:eek:ut:

Here's the info

SCUBA SWAP 2003 is being held at the Etobicoke Olympium gymnasium -- 590 Rathburn Rd., Etobicoke, ON, April 26, 2003 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Early bird gets the gear!

Swap meet

DivingGal once bubbled...
Here's the info

SCUBA SWAP 2003 is being held at the Etobicoke Olympium gymnasium -- 590 Rathburn Rd., Etobicoke, ON, April 26, 2003 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Early bird gets the gear!

Swap meet

Thanks DG. Same place as last year. It was packed last year and a line up before they let us in. Looked like a soup kitchen during the depression.

So you liked it last year...did you get any goodies? I guess it would be more geared towards the experienced consumer though wouldn't it? You're talking to the gearless wonder here:small:

Aquabella once bubbled...
So you liked it last year...did you get any goodies? I guess it would be more geared towards the experienced consumer though wouldn't it? You're talking to the gearless wonder here:small:

If you are looking for gear it is a good place to go and you are only and hour and a half away being in London. I picked up a 30cf pony a reg and guage and other goodies. All and all I got a great deal:)

Cool...I think I might just check it out, thanks to you and DivingGal for the heads up! I'm sure she right about the earlybird part.:)

So how do you handle the inevitable safety questions in buying something like a reg or guages at an event like this?

I've got a good eye for mechanics, but that comes with knowledge that I don't know what to look for to determine what condition that sort of gear is in.

Anybody know if the place is reasonably TTC-accessible?

Jamie

Aquabella once bubbled...
Cool...I think I might just check it out, thanks to you and DivingGal for the heads up! I'm sure she right about the earlybird part.:)

the advise given earlier --- I just copied the information from their web page. Though I was just after the basic where & when info, I thought the advice was valid from remembering what folks said last year.

You're right Aquabella!
If you go to the swap either take an experienced diver with you or be very knowledgeable about what you want to pick up.
The swap can have some great buys (although as mentioned, lots of the best stuff is gone before the doors are even open to the poor divers). Be prepared however to spend money getting a lot of the stuff checked over, serviced and/or repaired.

We actually get quite a lot of service business and some sales after the swap. Nothing you purchase there is guaranteed despite what impression the seller gives you so 'you own it'. One of our leaders bought a dry suit for $300 two years ago and spent the coldest, wettest summer of diving she's ever known. It cost her that much again for repairs. She finally decided to purchase a new one (for $750) and sold it for what she paid. I doubt she'll buy much at the swap again without checking first.

Tanks are almost always safe to buy; regulators if less than 5 years old are OK; BC's are so-so; suits if they fit and are really cheap are fine; accessories are great. Forget computers!

Check your LDS before going.
New, brand name 7mm wet suits are $300 or less.
Same for dry suits at $800 or less.
Complete scuba systems (reg, octo, console, BC) in brand name are available for less than $700.

Just be wise!! And cynical!

Good advice there, but how about wise and skeptical, too many cynics in this country.

Skepticism : A doubting state of mind.
Cynicism: Contemptuous distrust of human nature

I'm a cynic when it comes to politicians, but a skeptic when it comes to divers selling gear :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom