Swimming Assessment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Standards set out three objectives, if they meet it, I teach them. If they don't, I can't certify them. The objectives are nothing like your swimming skill levels.

1. They must stay afloat for 15 minutes. I split it 5 minutes each tred, drown proof and float, but as long as they stay afloat the required 15 minutes, they've met that objective.

2. They must swim 50 feet underwater on one breath with no push off.

3. They must swim 300 yards non-stop using any stroke, no time limit.

They cannot use any swimming aids other than swim goggles. If they swim in cold water, they can use a wet suit, but I must weight them to be neutrally buoyant.

I can teach them if they make 10 minutes, 40 feet, and 200 yards, but they must meet the higher objectives to get certified. I've taught a few who couldn't quite meet the 50 feet underwater at the beginning of the class, but made it by the end. I've never had a student who could stay afloat 10 minutes who couldn't make it 15 nor who could swim 200 yardsa, but not 300. If they can't make the 10/40/200 I can't provide any in water instruction until they can.

I am a firm believer of being able to handle yourself in the water and that the standard you listed here are a good starting point. The downside is that that less that 40% of certified divers will be able to complete these test. Divers in general is in bad shape!!

Sorry, divers should be able to swim to save their own lives, dive professionals should be able to swim to save others lives. To compromise this is simply wrong. I'm a strong swimmer and have been taxed on several occasoins to complete a dive successfully. If you can't swim, I don't want you as my buddy, clear enough?

Good diving, Craig

I can't swim worth a sh&t.

I am a firm believer of being able to handle yourself in the water and that the standard you listed here are a good starting point. The downside is that that less that 40% of certified divers will be able to complete these test. Divers in general is in bad shape!!
Seems to be true, all we are arguing about is the actual numbers.
Sorry, divers should be able to swim to save their own lives, dive professionals should be able to swim to save others lives. To compromise this is simply wrong. I'm a strong swimmer and have been taxed on several occasoins to complete a dive successfully. If you can't swim, I don't want you as my buddy, clear enough?

Good diving, Craig
I agree, but likely for slightly different reasons.

Geez, I never thought a DM newbie like me would ever "semi" disagree with you. Being a dope, I'm not really sure what you mean. Regarding the physical skill of swimming not being important, I agree and disagree. It is very important to pass any kind of lap test, especially for DM. It is also obviously important to just be able to swim. And some OW candidates can't swim--amazing. I agree completely that "swimming" comfort (and general comfort in water) is almost a must in learning to dive well. You probably know my views on swimming as a skill AND a sport (as opposed to diving, which I don't consider a sport). If you can't swim well, why would you EVER consider diving despite the differences of the two? Swimming ability (especially timed) and comfortability in water don't always go together. I've been super comfortable for 50 years and was only a HS team swimmer for a brief time. But hey, my only thing published relates to clarinet playing.
I don't consider diving a sport either ... for me it's work.:D I think we are in basic agreement.

ajduplessis:

Those who can't shouldn't be diving and won't get certified by me or any SEI instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom