Tactical to Practical--Zeagle does it again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.:
I think the unit is being looked at as a sport diving package which it wasn’t designed to be. It has a purpose and should be used for that purpose.

The page that the original message links to says: "Whether for emergency response or recreational diving ..." So, while it may not have been designed as a sport diving package, it's certainly being marketed that way.

A brief perusal of the Rapid Diver website should hopefully dispel some of the misconceptions being propagated on this thread. http://www.rapidiver.com

According to the site:

"The RAPID DIVER is a lightweight, all-inclusive scuba system that mates a tank, regulator and buoyancy module to a uniform-fit, load-bearing harness. It was created by Zeagle Systems in response to public safety and military needs for a universal fit, compact, versatile and easily deployed scuba system. With an overall weight of just 15 pounds, the Rapid Diver stores in a compact hand-carried pouch, and readies for use in seconds. Though designed for professional use, many of the Rapid Diver's performance characteristics make it equally suited to a range of civilian applications. In addition to a low overall weight, the Rapid Diver features a unique load-bearing harness that distributes the weight of the tank evenly over the diver's torso, making it well suited for difficult shore entries and is also beneficial for long walks to the water or water entry from ladders or small boats."

Basically, while it was initially developed with military and public service needs in mind, it is not specifically intended to be limited to these activities. The product is being marketed to military, commercial, recreational, and search/rescue divers. There is absolutely nothing on this website that would suggest or condone use by uncertified or inexperienced divers. In fact, I would be willing to bet that the product comes with all the normal legal disclaimers regarding certification and experience requirements that you would find with traditional SCUBA systems.

I'd personally love to try one of these.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy the argument that this system has ANYTHING to do with tossing lots of barely-trained divers in the water solo. That market simply isn't there in any way.

My first reaction was "this is really pointless, no one wants this, much less PSD people." Gary says these would be useful for PSD teams, though, so I believe him and that's pretty cool. It also seems like it could be applicable to certain other niches, but this isn't something that's made to be handed off to resort divers in Cozumel to do reef dives. IMO the fears are totally unfounded, and it has its uses.

ScottZeagle:
I almost hate to jump in here...but I will. :wink:

Just for clarification: This system is designed to be used by CERTIFIED DIVERS. Any thought otherwise is just plain foolish, as is the fact that I need to clearly state it, but welcome to the internet.

We have MANY inquiries from Police and Sherrifs dive teams as a rapid deployment device, and we have a similar unit that the military is already placing orders for.
That fact, alone, makes the production of these units worthwhile.

The simple fact is, any Zeagle dealer can stock this unit, or order one. If "Joe Average Diver" wants one to keep on his boat in case of prop troubles or to scrape barnacles, fine. If they would prefer to use a normal scuba setup, that is fine too - this is simply a second option, and one that takes up much less space than a normal set-up.

If I can answer any other questions about this system for you, please feel free to ask.

Thanks and dive safe (regardless of what gear you use)

Scott

Didn't see Scott's previous post. Concisely put: "simply a second option" for "CERTIFIED " " Joe Average Diver".

CIBDiving:
Yeah, Great! Just what the world needs - another Mares HUB.

My thoughts exactly...

If it came from Mares, some people on this board would already be howling. But its from Zeagle...

Oh well...

EDIT: I am NOT dissing Zeagle... I do believe they make quality products.

Web Monkey:
And how many police and firefighters will this thing kill?
Tools don't kill.
Period.
Y'all need to relax and let folks do their own due diligence and make their own choices.
FWIW I wouldn't choose this piece of gear for any of the jobs mentioned, but that doesn't mean it won't work, and I'm not about to call it "junk" just because I have other ideas.
Rick

jonnythan:
It also seems like it could be applicable to certain other niches

Yes, like all the poor shore diving b@$tard here in So Cal. Check out some of the stairs we have to traverse (in full gear) to get to some of our favorite Laguna Beach shore dive spots. The walk back up is a real b!tch. 20-30 mins of bottom time may not be a bad trade off ... could probably run up those stairs in a Rapid Diver system. Lightweight is good ... very good ;-)

http://www.lagunaseasports.com/divesite/

abitton:
If it came from Mares, some people on this board would already be howling.
Dude, they ARE howling. They don't have to like it, but I hate to see a product and company thrashed because of baseless assumptions. That goes for Mares as well as Zeagle!

totally agree. man... how many people got up on the wrong side of their beds? A new product with new ideas, and people start blowing up?

I mean, not to say that the discussion is totally off-base.. it's interesting and fun until things become.. well, not too beautiful. Why don't we talk about the gear? I mean, can't you just "talk" about it, and not make it a debate of dive theory and science or whatever? I want to read about new gear, and actually find out what it's about. Not watch a battlefield.

Back
Top Bottom