Tactical to Practical--Zeagle does it again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This looks like good tool for bounce spearfishing as well.

Not to mention for the DMs in FL "tying in" to a wreck so the tourists don't "loose" the boat.
Many tourists don't seem to respond well to an empty sea on ascent.

FT

MikeFerrara:
I guess I just don't see the advantage. If I was concerned about weight and rapid deployment, why would this be any better or faster than any other small light weight bc or wing already assembled to any size tank I want to strap onto it?

ok, now I've gotten into the water fast. Now what's the advantage? I know I don't like a belly mounted tank but I see you can back mount one too. What am I missing? What does the thing do for you? Or what could I do better with it than with any of my other rigs?

As the inventor/developer of the Rapid Diver™ system, I feel confident to answer the questions about the advantages…

You are right in thinking that it is not immediately obvious where the differences lie between the conventional back mount and Rapid Diver™ system. It is in the application of the technology where the differences become clear. Let me explain.

The first advantage is how we configured the entire unit to take advantage the new, smaller/lighter tank technologies. The complete, ready to dive unit fits into an incredibly small space--about the size of briefcase--and weighs in at just 20 lbs. The Rapid Diver™ is universal fit and goes on quick—once the unit is adjusted for the user there is only one QD to connect.

2. A custom proprietary tank was created just for the Rapid Diver™. We found this tank to have the perfect weight/size/duration for the system. The average diver breathes about .7 cubes per minute which means it would take an average of 28 minutes to breathe down a 20 cu ft tank (at 3000 psi) at the surface. Good divers have an average breathing rate of .5—do the math. The tank placement is of key importance and is located in the optimum position for the diver. The geometry is successful because the tank is in the CG and is slightly negative +-5lbs and displays keel like characteristics. Underwater the unit seems to disappear, you feel as if you are free diving. The “belly” tank configuration is also extremely useful as a shelf for knife/lights and for surface transits—no weight placed outside of the water.

3. The load bearing harness which supports the weight of the tank also allows for a tank to be attached on the back. This was designed to maximize the systems expandability. This means that you can attach a tank on the front, or a tank on the back, or a tank on the front and back. A standard back plate (with or without a buoyancy cell) is a perfect accessory to the Rapid Diver™ system when doing extended duration diving that require using larger tanks (up to 130’s). In this configuration the back mount becomes primary and the chest mount becomes the back up. The configuration possibilities with the Rapid Diver™ system are almost limitless.

4. Unlike traditional back mount systems, the Rapid Diver can be used as tactical swimmers vest (TSV) without the life support system attached. This becomes a useable piece of equipment for small boat operations, spear fishing, or skin diving activities.

5. This next advantage is fairly obvious, and that is that the buoyancy cell is favorable for “heads up” safety at the surface. The buoyancy cell provides a solid 25 lbs of lift in fresh water.

6. The Rapid Diver™ system is a complete package which includes the buoyancy vest, the regulator the pressure gauge, power/oral inflator and a new proprietary aluminum tank, the 20 cu ft aluminum tank. A new high pressure 30 cu ft steel tank is also now available; this tank is slightly heavier and adds around 5lbs to the system.

7. The price. We determined early on that the price point would be a very important factor. The Rapid Diver initial retail price is in the $799 range.

8. The Rapid Diver™ is made by one of the most innovative and long lasting dive companies in the world—Zeagle.

Conventional system VS Rapid Diver™ system

Rapid Diver™

Universal fit
Geometry
Maximum expandability
Tactical Swimmers Vest (TSV) option
Heads up” safety
Proprietary aluminum tank, the 20 cu ft Alum tank
The Rapid Diver initial retail price is in the $799 range
Zeagle Manufactured in the USA

If you have any further questions about the Rapid Diver™ System feel free to PM

NetDoc:
Well then Mike... you have brought "Cyber-Diving" to a whole new level- gerat dive report! As for one who has put it on in "real time", I see lots of advantages.

What dive report?

I think it's great that you see advantages "in real time" but I asked what they were. Did you purchase one...and if so for how much...and how, when and why do yo use it in place of other equipment you own?

MF:
What dive report?
MF:
ok, now I've gotten into the water fast. Now what's the advantage?
Sounds like a cyber dive report to me!

No, I have not purchased one... YET. But my friend will be doing so for his son. My opinions are based on real time spent with the unit and are not hypothetical. When was the last time you based your decisions on the word of someone who has not even TRIED the system? You're entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to point out that you have zero time on the unit! The readers can decide who has an agenda and who has checked the product out!

Aqua-man:
As the inventor/developer of the Rapid Diver™ system, I feel confident to answer the questions about the advantages…

You are right in thinking that it is not immediately obvious where the differences lie between the conventional back mount and Rapid Diver™ system. It is in the application of the technology where the differences become clear. Let me explain.

The first advantage is how we configured the entire unit to take advantage the new, smaller/lighter tank technologies. The complete, ready to dive unit fits into an incredibly small space--about the size of briefcase--and weighs in at just 20 lbs. The Rapid Diver™ is universal fit and goes on quick—once the unit is adjusted for the user there is only one QD to connect.

2. A custom proprietary tank was created just for the Rapid Diver™. We found this tank to have the perfect weight/size/duration for the system. The average diver breathes about .7 cubes per minute which means it would take an average of 28 minutes to breathe down a 20 cu ft tank (at 3000 psi) at the surface. Good divers have an average breathing rate of .5—do the math. The tank placement is of key importance and is located in the optimum position for the diver. The geometry is successful because the tank is in the CG and is slightly negative +-5lbs and displays keel like characteristics. Underwater the unit seems to disappear, you feel as if you are free diving. The “belly” tank configuration is also extremely useful as a shelf for knife/lights and for surface transits—no weight placed outside of the water.

3. The load bearing harness which supports the weight of the tank also allows for a tank to be attached on the back. This was designed to maximize the systems expandability. This means that you can attach a tank on the front, or a tank on the back, or a tank on the front and back. A standard back plate (with or without a buoyancy cell) is a perfect accessory to the Rapid Diver™ system when doing extended duration diving that require using larger tanks (up to 130’s). In this configuration the back mount becomes primary and the chest mount becomes the back up. The configuration possibilities with the Rapid Diver™ system are almost limitless.

4. Unlike traditional back mount systems, the Rapid Diver can be used as tactical swimmers vest (TSV) without the life support system attached. This becomes a useable piece of equipment for small boat operations, spear fishing, or skin diving activities.

5. This next advantage is fairly obvious, and that is that the buoyancy cell is favorable for “heads up” safety at the surface. The buoyancy cell provides a solid 25 lbs of lift in fresh water.

6. The Rapid Diver™ system is a complete package which includes the buoyancy vest, the regulator the pressure gauge, power/oral inflator and a new proprietary aluminum tank, the 20 cu ft aluminum tank. A new high pressure 30 cu ft steel tank is also now available; this tank is slightly heavier and adds around 5lbs to the system.

7. The price. We determined early on that the price point would be a very important factor. The Rapid Diver initial retail price is in the $799 range.

8. The Rapid Diver™ is made by one of the most innovative and long lasting dive companies in the world—Zeagle.

Conventional system VS Rapid Diver™ system

Rapid Diver™

Universal fit
Geometry
Maximum expandability
Tactical Swimmers Vest (TSV) option
Heads up” safety
Proprietary aluminum tank, the 20 cu ft Alum tank
The Rapid Diver initial retail price is in the $799 range
Zeagle Manufactured in the USA

If you have any further questions about the Rapid Diver™ System feel free to PM

thanks for the explaination. For me personally (and I said personally) it doesn't seem to give me anything I need that I don't already have. However, as long time engineer I have to say...gosh, when you have an idea...go for it and if it fills some one's needs or wants then you've done something. I'm not in this thread to throw a wench in it for those who are attracted to the system. I'm not going to go into the design intent advantages point for point because there's more than one way to do most things. If someone likes it and has the money, it's just free enterprise in action and I'm all for it.

Thanks again for the explaination and good luck with your idea.

But Pete, Dude! I have to tell you that you're making a gamoke out of yourself. You act like these folks who are sceptical or critical are kicking your dog or something. It's not your dog is it Pete?

NetDoc:
Sounds like a cyber dive report to me!

No, I have not purchased one... YET. But my friend will be doing so for his son. My opinions are based on real time spent with the unit and are not hypothetical. When was the last time you based your decisions on the word of someone who has not even TRIED the system? You're entitled to your opinions, and I am entitled to point out that you have zero time on the unit! The readers can decide who has an agenda and who has checked the product out!

First of all please note that I only asked questions. I made not a single statement about the PRODUCT. Unlike some, I don't own a scuba related business and demonsatratably have no income related agenda.

True, I don't have any "time" on the unit. I don't have any time on LSD either LOL. I asked why I should want some and you haven't answered any of my questions aside from whether or not you baught one? Again, what are the advantages you see in the unit? Did you recommend this unit to your friend for his son and why (in contrast to others)? I am more than willing to let the readers decide who has checked out the prodect...oh wait! you told us who did that. I've checked out lots of others though. LOL Hey, how is it that niether of us has baught onew but you had the chance to try it and I haven't?

FredT:
Not to mention for the DMs in FL "tying in" to a wreck so the tourists don't "loose" the boat.

Many tourists don't seem to respond well to an empty sea on ascent.FT

Fred:

So you're saying native Floridians don't mind an empty sea on ascent? Why would that be?

Don

Question is, will this technology (Rapid Diver) converge the boating industry with the diving industry? Will this mean more boaters will become certified divers?

Over the weekend I polled some boaters and I found out that there was a surprisingly large population of boaters that are interested in dive training and scuba but are not certified. I had several boaters say they are not scuba certified but where currently using surface supplied units or small scuba units. The lack of certified boaters might be caused by the fact that the "surface supplied" component can easily circumvent the the "need a cert card to get a fill" rule. It has been suggested that a specific boating oriented scuba course aimed at boaters might be attractive to the boating community.

Many of the boaters polled agreed that scuba should be sold only through dive retailers and that a scuba training program should be created specifically aimed towards boaters—any comments?

Aqua-man:
Question is, will this technology (Rapid Diver) converge the boating industry with the diving industry? Will this mean more boaters will become certified divers?

Over the weekend I polled some boaters and I found out that there was a surprisingly large population of boaters that are interested in dive training and scuba but are not certified. I had several boaters say they are not scuba certified but where currently using surface supplied units or small scuba units. The lack of certified boaters might be caused by the fact that the "surface supplied" component can easily circumvent the the "need a cert card to get a fill" rule. It has been suggested that a specific boating oriented scuba course aimed at boaters might be attractive to the boating community.

Many of the boaters polled agreed that scuba should be sold only through dive retailers and that a scuba training program should be created specifically aimed towards boaters—any comments?

I'm not sure why boaters would need a course that's different from the course any one else would get. Since we're talking about those who aren't "divers" I'm not sure I would care that they think scuba should only be sold through dive retailers. If, we're talking about only equipment retailers offering training, I've always thought that it was almost a conflict of interest. After some time in the industry I'd rather see retail and training seperated.

I think you have to be careful addressing a group like "boaters" in polls because the group "boaters" contains divers, non-divers, race car drivers, pilots, and members of a million other groups.

The world is full of folks who dive for one reason or the other and aren't certified. I'm not sure what that tells us other than there may be an untapped market for some smart compressed gas supplier since it's only "dive" businesses that have any interest in seeing a card. You can go other places and get a variety of gasses placed in a variety of containers and no one cares what you're going to use it for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom