Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't dive side mount but I do have the worthington LP85 tanks. They are a bit
heavier on the bottom of the tank than say the PST HP100's. They do seem to get less
heavy on the bottom as the tank starts to get lower ? I'm not sure how they compare
to the Fabers.

Is it worth it to buy HP tanks if I cant get a HP fill? Does anyone have any opinions about Worthington LP tanks?

HP100 filled to 3000 has 87cf of gas in it.

LP85 filled to 2650 has 85cf of gas in it.

LP85 filled to 3000 has 96cf of gas in it.

Reactions: Jax
HP100 filled to 3000 has 87cf of gas in it.

LP85 filled to 2650 has 85cf of gas in it.

LP85 filled to 3000 has 96cf of gas in it.

So if I can only get a 3000 PSI fill it seems that it would be smarter to buy LP tanks to get the most GAS for any given dive I may do.

As long as your fill station will overfill a LP tank to 3000, thats true. If they only fill to rated pressure or 3000psi(whichever is less), the difference is negligable.

Is it worth it to buy HP tanks if I cant get a HP fill? Does anyone have any opinions about Worthington LP tanks?

They are different tanks. Lp tanks are longer and heavier. Lp85 is longer than hp100 lp108 are longer than hp130. They also have bigger internal volume thus bigger tank factor. So you have to take that into account

As long as your fill station will overfill a LP tank to 3000, thats true. If they only fill to rated pressure or 3000psi(whichever is less), the difference is negligable.

Would there be any reason why they wouldnt fill to 3000 PSI. When I get an AL80 filled I dont have to ask for 3000 PSI fill they just do it. Wouldnt that be considered overfilling?

lp tanks are rated to 2640 (with the +) al80's are rated to 3000 thats why you dont have to ask for it, 3000 in an 80 is not overfilled, 3000 in a lp tank will be, and not all shops are willing to do that.

3000 in a lp tank will be, and not all shops are willing to do that.

a more accurate statement would be that most dive shops aren't willing to do that.

a more accurate statement would be that most dive shops aren't willing to do that.

Overall true, but if you look at the smaller picture, that can skew :)

Only the 'crappy' dive shops around here won't overfill steels.

Back
Top Bottom