Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My main problem with them is the local quarry wont even give me a + fill on my lp steels, not a problem at my LDS (run by a cave diver) 3500 is standard.

It's funny we have 2 shops around here and 1 will fill them to 4000+ and not blink an eye and the other will only hot fill them to rated pressure then the cool 300-600 PSI less.

Guess which shop gets more business....

HP100 filled to 3000 has 87cf of gas in it.

LP85 filled to 2650 has 85cf of gas in it.

LP85 filled to 3000 has 96cf of gas in it.

HP 100 at 3000 = 86.7
LP 85 at 3000 = 93.9

(XS Scuba tanks)

It's funny we have 2 shops around here and 1 will fill them to 4000+ and not blink an eye and the other will only hot fill them to rated pressure then the cool 300-600 PSI less.

Guess which shop gets more business....

Almost always the determining factor is what the business's insurance carrier has to say ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

So just so I understand, if I had a LP85 tank that was rated for 2400 PSI +10% I would have to fill it to 2640 just to get the 85 cubic feet? Would the 2640 be considered overfilling or would anything over 2640 be overfilling?

2640 would be considered overfilling if it didn't have the + after hydro.

So just so I understand, if I had a LP85 tank that was rated for 2400 PSI +10% I would have to fill it to 2640 just to get the 85 cubic feet? Would the 2640 be considered overfilling or would anything over 2640 be overfilling?

Actually if you fill XS Scuba LP85 to 2640 (nominal pressure) it would have 82.9 cuft of gas in it.

If the LP tanks has the "+" stamp on it, it's rated to 2640. Beyond that would be considered an overfill. I'm still impressed by the pair of LP85s I got last fall in Florida filled to 3800 lb! Around here it's sometimes a battle to even get the rated 2640. Something to keep in mind when getting them hydroed is make sure the shop remembers to add the "+" so you can continue to get them filled to their capacity without too much of an argument.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom