Tdi advanced nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also i am wondering what the course allows you to do (apart from be able to use 21-100% o2). i am wondering what the benefits of the course are.

Cheers

1. Gas Physiology
2. The important formulas Boyles Law, Daltons T Formula, and teaches you to calculate Best Mix, MOD, Partial Pressure, Equivalent Air Depth.
3. Dive Planning, Dive Protocols, and Gas Mixing
3. Allows you to actually get O2 to 100% tanks filled. My dive store asks for verification when I get my CCR O2 or my DAN O2 tank filled.

Dwayne

hi i am thinking about going into tech diving and i will start with the tdi adv nitrox course. i would like to know how many tanks you dive with, if you need different scuba gear and what mixes are put into each tank. also i would like to know what you have to do under th water. Also i am wondering what the course allows you to do (apart from be able to use 21-100% o2). i am wondering what the benefits of the course are.

Cheers

Why are you interested in taking a course you know nothing about?

ok, i am alreay a padi enriched air diver. i undestand that the minimum age for this course is 15. i do want to get into tech diving.
Cheers.

Then you should be able to answer your own question about whether diving >40% recreationally is "beneficial". For me >40% won't ever be useful for recreational dives; everything I want to do is just fine of 32% or maybe 36%.

thankyou. i will be doing my diving in egypt not the uk. also can any1 tell me if after being qualified in adv nitrox would it be benifitial to dive shallow with a mix >40.

For the OP: Four tips and the info you were seeking...

Firstly, if you were serious about doing the course, then you should do some serious research. The questions you are asking could be answered in 30 seconds using Google. Does not bode well......... :wink:

Secondly, whilst the agency pre-requisites do state that the minimum age is 15 years, you might find that many instructors/operations designate a minimum age of 18 years old.

Thirdly, as this is a technical level course you must expect the instructor to provide a pre-evaluation of your foundation dive skills. If you aren't a competant, safe and highly effective recreational diver already, then you would be wasting time and money applying for tech training. It is not rare to see divers turned away from tech courses on the basis of a pre-evaluation.

Fourthly, as this is a technical level course, you must expect the instructor not to certify you, if you cannot meet the standards for the course completion. It will not be a case of simply turning up, going through the motions and getting a card at the end of it. If you are not an accomplished diver, then you may be wasting money on the course.

Now... for the info that is available on the 1000 sites that show up in a Google seach...

What you can do with Adv Nitrox:

Plan and conduct dives that make use of nitrox beyond the 40% max for recreational divers (not much use until you can combine it with deco procedures for accelerated deco use).
Develop a responsible attitude towards precise dive planning, that forms a foundation for subsequent decompression training courses.
Understand a deeper level of dive theory (gas laws, physics and physiology), that forms a foundation for subsequent mixed-gas and deco training courses.
(If course is done in double tanks) develop a basic foundation in the dive skills (shut-downs, AAS drills, rescue, buoyancy, trim, propulsion) needed for subsequent tech courses.

What you cannot do with Adv Nitrox:

Dive below 40m (normal recreational limits)
Conduct staged decompression

Adv Nitrox skill circuit:

Gas shut down drill.
Gas shut down (no mask).
Remove and replace kit.
Remove and replace stage cylinder (kneeling).
Remove and replace stage cylinder (while swimming).
Remove and replace stage cylinder (mid water).
Gas sharing swimming side by side (100 meters).
Gas sharing swimming in line (100 meters).
DSMB Deployment (exhaled gas and Alternate Air Source methods).
Air consumption (static, swimming and towing).

Required Skill Performance and Certification Requirements:

Pre Dive Planning.
Demonstrate ability to hover at fixed position without moving hands or feet.
Show good awareness of team members through communications, proximity and team oriented dive practices.
Demonstrate ability to manage freeflow from primary regulator in controlled.
Deploy SMB correctly while maintaining position in mid-water.
Conduct appropriate safety stop while using SMB.
Demonstrate ability to share back gas with buddy as both recipient and donor in mid-water
Demonstrate correct body position (appropriate trim, such as horizontal / streamlined).
Demonstrate correct stress analysis with self and team members.
Calculate and log CNS loading for each dive including cumulative exposure where appropriate
Demonstrate correct use of oxygen analyzer including optimal procedure for calibration.
Demonstrate understanding of gas labeling.
Demonstrate adherence to conventions regarding prep equipment for oxygen service.
Satisfactorily complete the TDI Advanced Nitrox Course written examination.
Complete all open water requirements safely and efficiently.
Demonstrate mature, sound judgment concerning dive planning and execution.

Subjects Covered During the Course:

Physics.
Physiology.
Formula Work.
Equipment Considerations.
Dive Tables.
Dive Computers.
Dive Planning.
Common Mixing Procedures.
Decompression.

What minimum kit you will need:

Double cylinders, (optional - single high capacity cylinder with H-valve
2x regulators, O2 cleaned and serviced.
Exposure suit, mask and fins
BCD capable of supporting doubles (or high capacity single, typically BP&W design
Depth and Timing devices or Dive computer (x2)
Cutting device
DSMB and reel
Underwater slate or notepad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom