TDI vs. PADI for Nitrox certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i did do PADI nitrox and went on to do TDI advanced nitrox and it was not a problem. It seemed to be up to the instructors discretion.

seanrollins once bubbled...

DivingGal,

It's my understanding that TDI does recognize PADI's Nitrox course. If you intend to take TDI Advanced Nitrox in this area, you need either TDI / PADI nitrox first... and deep diver specialty as well I believe.

The reason why I said it in that manner, rather than "I know" is there might a bit more info that I can't remember.

Earlier this summer I and a few others took the Adv Nitrox & Decom Procedures from TDI. We all had our PADI Nitrox. When it came to celebrate our success, the instructor was told (and this is where I might be missing some of the explanation) "Nope, not equivalent, they must hold the TDI certification".

It was not a big issue, we all wrote the exam, and received three certifications at graduation.

Hi Sean:

You don't need any deep diving card to get Nitrox or Adv Nitrox cert.

I took the TDI Nitrox course simply because between PADI and TDI, if you want to do "Tech" diving, TDI is the way to go, so why start it with PADI.

Besides, as someone mentioned, TDI's books are cheaper, and are just as good a reference......IMO better.

On the same note, a PADI and TDI Instructor friend of mine told me that PADI had approched him to start teaching their "Tech-Rec" stuff, whatever it's called. He said Sure, gimme (as in don't pay) the Instrutors Permit for it. They told him he'd have to earn it vs being "Grandfathered" in!!!! This guy's been teaching TDI and PADI courses for a long time, and is a well respected Technical diver. If you knew his credentials and diving abilities...

This guy is a TDI Trimix Instructor, they know it, and they want him to take their lame-ass course, and pay for it.

He laughed at them, I don't blame him. What value is a PADI "Tech" course??? They're dying to get into the game, after years of poo-pooing Tech diving. They've missed the boat, and are trying to play catch up, and they are giving this guy grief when they need guys just like him.

After your "Rec" courses are done, get into TDI, a real Tech diving agency.........or a few other ones as well, but PADI ain't one of them.

JMHO

DivingGal....

When it came to celebrate our success, the instructor was told (and this is where I might be missing some of the explanation) "Nope, not equivalent, they must hold the TDI certification".

I received PADI Nitrox in 1998 and completed TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco Procedures in 2002. Never once was my PADI Nitrox certifcation qualifications questioned. I think your instructor is mis-guided.

Don Burke once bubbled...
I was going diving anyway, so I picked PADI. If I hadn't been going diving, I would have chosen TDI.

What do you mean?

But only if you're wanting to take more padi courses. Nitrox, since it has no new skills for the actual dives, it lets you do the nitrox class work, and then use the 2 nitrox dives to count towards other required dives as well. For example, If you want to do AOW, which takes 5 dives, 2 of them could be counted for the nitrox course as well as AOW (if done on nitrox, obviously). Nitrox is the only course they do that with, but you can save some bucks if you package it with another course.

I did padi nitrox along with AOW, and when I started into tech, TDI accepted my padi 'trox with no problem.

On the other hand, if you're all padi'd out, and plan to go into more tech, then getting a good instructor to take you thru a progression of classes (ie: 'trox, adv 'trox & deco proced, ER or mix1, etc.) would be the way to go.

The material is all pretty much the same, it's the instructor that's the difference....

Darlene

I've researched the TDI Advanced Nitrox course a bit. It appears that the prerequisits vary greatly depending on who your instructor is. Some instructors accept PADI Nitrox as a prerequisit while others require TDI Nitrox.

As for taking TDI courses if you want to get into tech diving, I disagree. I have met the PADI Instructor Examiner "Lesly Alexander" who is writing all of the PADI technical diving manuals and course requirements. She had mentioned to me that PADI is framing their courses around TDI courses. As a PADI Instructor, I am very happy with PADI so far, and intend to stick with them. I know TDI has a fantastic reputation, but hopefully with a little support from PADI Professionals, we can get PADI that same recognition in the sport of technical diving.

Other than the required dives, the only difference I remember between the PADI and TDI nitrox courses was that PADI (traditionaly) leans towords use of tables a bit more than TDI which seemed to spend a bit more time on the formulas and calculations.

Both teach both methods quite adequately but that was my overall impression of the materials.

Both courses (properly taught) will give you the basic knowledge needed to safely dive recreational nitrox.

The only reason I hold both cards is that the instructor I usualy DM for wants his DMs to hold any cert they are assiting in teaching so they can better assist in the classes... (he teaches PADI/SDI/TDI)

Otherwise I would have just gone for TDI and left it at that as I knew I was heading for tech diving.

TDI advanced nitrox does require 4 dives using higher nitrox mixes.

Back
Top Bottom