Tell me about your 1st Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBuoy:
So true, I've done hundreds of night dives, my imagination must still be whipped into submission.

I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one!

My wife is taking her AOW next week, and night diving is one of the adventure dives. She is very apprehensive (and full of anxiety), and it would not have been her 1st choice for one of the dives. She’s never read anything on the SB, so I emailed her this thread so she can read everyone’s stories and see that her feelings are normal.

Like everyone who does their first one early in their diving experiences, I had a lot of anxiety too. I was in Hawaii (AOW class), and I was afraid my light would go out and I wouldn’t be able to see anything, and my bare legs would bump into urchins on the reefs, etc. The mind can really get you wound up in anticipation. It turned out to be awesome, and it is now one of my favorite types of dives (even in cold water). The colors that come out with a dive light at night are incredible. I had never heard of the bioluminescence (that was pretty cool).

I hope any new divers who are thinking about trying a night dive, and read these posts, are encouraged to try it at least once. I like the sunset dive idea of going into the water while it is still somewhat light, and then having it get dark while underwater. I think that’ might be a great way for an intro if someone is really nervous.

I have been diving since Aug 1998 and since then have done loads of night dives I actually find them so much more relaxing than day dives but the rules I use are

1 sites you have dived before

2 Not demanding sites, not deep 15-20m max

3 Keep it fun

4 even a site you have dived hundreds of times during the day is completly different at night

5 Do not force any one to do a night dive just because its a requirement for a cert or some thing thats crap

6 Its hard to keep track of loads of people on a night dive so try to limit the numbers and make dedicated buddy pairs. What a hypocritical arse, I have surfaced on a night dive with the wrong Buddy cos his HID had the same beam pattern as my mates so did a really good impression of a sheep even down to not thinking Oops

Most of all enjoy its not Rocket Science

If your ever in South Western Saudi Arabia will introduce you to a greater Barracuda we have nick named Bertie who hunts in our Torch beams at night hes really impresive

My first night dive was in Cozumel in November. We actually dove at twilight on our first night dive. That helped make me less nervous, since it was still light when we entered the water.

We saw an octopus, which was our main goal. We also played around with the bioluminescents on our safety stop. It was interesting and we did three more night dives that week -- I'm glad we did. There was a different critter community at night.

Saudi-Diver:
I have been diving since Aug 1998 and since then have done loads of night dives I actually find them so much more relaxing than day dives but the rules I use are

1 sites you have dived before ...

Unless introduced to a new site by a local diver with familiarity, who can brief you about the area, aquatic life, local laws, any special equipment required, and then dives with you to familiarize you with site. (best done during the day, but helps if this diver can also do a dive with you at night on the same site).

Otherwise with that "rule" no one would ever dive anything new :).

Back
Top Bottom