Temporate Climate Diving Gloves or Not ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lonefox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I live in the uk, I'm about to start my first season of local non-resort diving, the weather is still cold here, and the night time air temperature has only just risen above freezing. In just over a month I have a non-drysuit dive booked. I'll be wearing my 7mm semi dry.
Having spoken to a few people, there's some differing opinions over the requirement of Gloves, many people I have spoken to find them an encumberance. I am not so bothered about chilly fingers, more the potential for being stung, or cutting myself.

What are your opinions on wearing them ?

I know there is significant heat loss through the extremities, so this may be an issue to consider. Many people here wear those weird 3-fingered mitts (never cared much for them), but I'm more than comfortable wearing 5mm 5-fingered gloves, down to about 8 degrees celsius. I find they don't bother me all that much.

I consider gloves mandatory regardless of the type of diving I am doing, both as protection and as insulation. I believe your conditions in the UK are similar to what we have here in the North East US, with water temperatures ranging from the high 30s to the low 50s at best.

What are the water temperatures? "Chilly fingers" wouldn't even begin to describe the effect you'd get from diving in what I believe your water temperatures are like and I believe physical protection from stuff in the water and on the anchor/mooring lines is mandatory. The last thing you want to do is have to worry about hurting yourself when you need to grab ahold of something.

I always wear gloves-even when the waters warm. Of course I'm usually looking for crustaceans in barnacle laden rocks

LoneFox,
Soggy is spot on - you'll need gloves. The water starts to warm up from about now. You might get away with no gloves from July onwards but until then I strongly recommend gloves. Some people wear gloves but remove the fingertips for dexterity - the reason being that it's your wrists where you'll get coldest.

Secondly, in a semi dry you are likely to get cold on the boat after the first dive and this might be when your hands really start to chill. It's probably best if you start saving up for a drysuit I'm sorry to say.

I have a pair of 7mm gloves that I use for the waters here. When its warmer, I tend not to use them, but I really should as I've been cut but zebra mussels before. 7mm do limit your dexterity so 5mm ones might be what you should look into. You can also try renting some from your LDS to see what thickness vs. dexterity you are comfortable with.

dbulmer:
LoneFox,
Soggy is spot on - you'll need gloves. The water starts to warm up from about now. You might get away with no gloves from July onwards but until then I strongly recommend gloves. Some people wear gloves but remove the fingertips for dexterity - the reason being that it's your wrists where you'll get coldest.

Secondly, in a semi dry you are likely to get cold on the boat after the first dive and this might be when your hands really start to chill. It's probably best if you start saving up for a drysuit I'm sorry to say.

I'm with Soggy also - but I have 1 mil, 3 mil, 5 mil and 7 mil gloves. I like the 1 mil the best - almost don't notice that they are on.

I do everything I can, when on a coral reef, to avoid doing any damage - but would rather put a finger down on a piece of fire coral, than do damage to the softer, gentlier stuff. Gloves allow you to do that.

Skin cuts really easy when in water a long time, and not having injuries is important if you are diving every day.

I know a lot of places do not allow gloves, but when you look at the real reef damage being done, it is almost always from fins and/or running into the reef.

I've found gloves are just always nice. Just as Soggy & RapidDiver have said. Some people may consider them an encumberance, but you didn't say that you yourself do.

I like wearing them everywhere and if you really don't care, what's the harm in wearing them just in case you will need protection from jagged obstacles that come along in your dive?

I wear gloves (5 mil) early in the year when the water is really cold then ditch them in temps above 60-65F. Fit is crucial though because if the fingers are too short or too long it doesn't matter how thick the gloves are your dexterity will be affected.

As for the protection angle, I'm not sure I buy that. I'm at 16 total dives and since about 10 dives on I haven't been in a situation where I have had to touch anything to maintain boyancy.

Lonefox:
I live in the uk, I'm about to start my first season of local non-resort diving, the weather is still cold here, and the night time air temperature has only just risen above freezing. In just over a month I have a non-drysuit dive booked. I'll be wearing my 7mm semi dry.
Having spoken to a few people, there's some differing opinions over the requirement of Gloves, many people I have spoken to find them an encumberance. I am not so bothered about chilly fingers, more the potential for being stung, or cutting myself.

What are your opinions on wearing them ?

In the UK you'll want a minimum of 5mm semi dry gloves or 3 fingered mitts.

Your fingers will still get cold.

Anything less and it'll be uncomfortable to the point most people can the dive. Not safe either being unable to manipulate clips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom