Tennessee River - Hunstville Diving ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rdharbis1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has/does anyone know much about diving the Tennessee River (Guntersville, Decatur, Shoals area)? I spend a lot of time on the river with my pontoon and would like to try to use ti to dive also. Some areas seem relatively clear but I would much prefer to go with a group that may do this regularly. Gotta be someway to get wet with this much water (and it still be fun - and safe.)!

You know about Rock Divers in Madison don'tcha?

Welcome to ScubaBoard and the Dixie Divers Forum.

We do dive in the Tennesse here in Chattanooga, looking for old bottles and such. It looks from your profile that your fairly new, so I wouldn't recommend that just yet, current, entaglement, no vis make for a dangerous dive even for someone well equipped and experienced. Now you may be on a lake portion that clearer and no current, so that's a bit different, but I recommend you dive with someone experienced and stay shallow till your used to the low vis.

SuPrBuGmAn:
You know about Rock Divers in Madison don'tcha?

Welcome to ScubaBoard and the Dixie Divers Forum.

Yes, if you mean the Quarry? I have been there twice and will be there again next Saturday. I dive with my son, who is an experienced diver. He is the one who got me involved. We think we want to try the river near Lucy's Branch or maybe around Double Tree past Wheeler dam.

octotat:
We do dive in the Tennesse here in Chattanooga, looking for old bottles and such. It looks from your profile that your fairly new, so I wouldn't recommend that just yet, current, entaglement, no vis make for a dangerous dive even for someone well equipped and experienced. Now you may be on a lake portion that clearer and no current, so that's a bit different, but I recommend you dive with someone experienced and stay shallow till your used to the low vis.

Thnks, good advice! Right now, I would only go with a group or someone I really trusted. Maybe they are here and reading. This is a great board. Enjoying reading the different forums.

rdharbis1:
Thnks, good advice! Right now, I would only go with a group or someone I really trusted. Maybe they are here and reading. This is a great board. Enjoying reading the different forums.
Welcome to the boards! :D

There are a few people who dive in the TN river in the Huntsville/Decatur/Florence area, but they are a "dedicated" few.

SDI in Florence used to do "Tuesday or wednesday night dives" below Wilson Dam in the Florence area. I think their trips were free if you wanted to go. However, their Florence store is going out of business, so I don't know if they are going to do it anymore. The bottom below Wilson Damn is supposed to be hard/rockier and thus provide better water vis.

It appears the web page for it has been deleted.
http://www.sdiscuba.com/tue_night_dives.htm

Anyway, there is also a group of divers from SDI that go out and dive
in Huntsville in the river near the Whitesburg bridge. Mostly looking
for weapons and guns that have been thrown into the river. (I think
that if they can't be linked to a crime, the police will let them keep them).
But... they are diving right in the middle of the boat channel and boaters
here have no clue on any "rules" and don't expect them to respect a dive
flag.

As for Lucys Branch (aka Bay Hill Marina), that place has turned into
"Redneck Riveria". Watch for boat traffic.

I've also had this page bookmarked for a while
Diving The Tennessee River
http://home.hiwaay.net/~mdsmith/tenndive.htm

Also, as Matt reference, the Madison Rock quarry is there.

There is also another quarry in Moultan, but it's operated by
a small yet to open dive shop so I don't know its hours.

Also Bluewater in Pelham, Diveland in Glenco, and Marthas
in Tennesee are options.

Hope that helps some.

-Mike

I was aware of the SDI shop closing down but had not associated them with the group that would be diving in Florence, I guess I should have.
The link about diving the Tenn. was good, not encouraging, but good.
I have been fishing at the bluffs around Lucy's branch area and it was always very clear there, that's is why I had thought about trying a dive there.
I have not heard of Martha's in Tennessee but I will look for it.

You have been a gret help. I haven't decided what I am going to do yet, but I intend to go slowly and safely!

rdharbis1:
I have not heard of Martha's in Tennessee but I will look for it.

Check out http://www.marthasquarry.com/

I figured you knew about Madison Quary since your profile says you
live in Madison. I pass the quarry twice a day on the way to work
on I-565.

Also check out Dive Sports in Decatur. I've been in there several
times when people who dove in the river came in for fills. More
of an "old school" kinds of crowd these divers were. Most I think
were mussel fishermen or people who speared catfish. The owner
of the shop should know who to point you to.

-Mike

Has/does anyone know much about diving the Tennessee River (Guntersville, Decatur, Shoals area)? I spend a lot of time on the river with my pontoon and would like to try to use ti to dive also. Some areas seem relatively clear but I would much prefer to go with a group that may do this regularly. Gotta be someway to get wet with this much water (and it still be fun - and safe.)!
Hey give me a call or text diving in Tennessee River tomorrow 256-2526744

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom