Thailand in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in June around the Andaman Sea is a hit and miss. Most of the time the weather is good, but we have periods when it's not. Often the sea is calm in the morning but gets choppy (sometimes very choppy) in the afternoon when coming back from diving. It rains more compare to the rest of the year, sometimes a lot, but usually it's not that bad.

I would recommend Phuket or maybe even better, Phi Phi Islands.

Koh Lanta and Krabi have more days cancelled during low-season compared to the other destinations. There is no diving around Similan Islands, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai or Richelieu Rock so forget about Khao Lak. If you like to dive in the Golf of Thailand then go to Koh Tao. Cheaper and less tranfer time to your dive sites.

Happy holiday

I haven't been back to Thailand since I spent a month there in 2001. My understanding was that the weather is quite different in the Gulf Region and the Andaman Sea. I dove in both areas and had a great time, but I was there during the northern hemisphere winter.

When the intertropical convergence zone is south of Thailand, as it is now, the prevailing winds are northeast trade winds which can bring poor weather to the Gulf's east coast.

When the intertropical convergence zone is north of Thailand, the prevailing winds are southwest monsoon winds which bring wet weather to much of Thailand and poor conditions for diving in much of the Andaman sea.

However, we're talking about weather, so you can expect to be surprised now and then. I've had some very nice off-season diving in the South Andaman and some horrible in-season diving in and around Koh Tao. It's the weather.

earth____an_animated_map_of_global_wind__weather__and_ocean_conditions.jpg
Just for fun, here's an image on which I've drawn the approximate current location of the intertropical convergence zone. You can see (maybe) how north of the zone the prevailing winds are out of the northeast and south of the zone the are mostly from the west. The image is from this wonderful website: earth :: an animated map of global wind, weather, and ocean conditions

Although June is a bit late for the Similans, what about the southern Andamans? I have really enjoyed diving Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. I wonder if these islands are accessible in June? Stevel might be the person to ask.

The Tapana schedule is here: Tapana - Chumphon/Koh Tao

It looks like they will be doing weekly three-day liveaboard trips leaving from Chumphon and diving sites in and around Chumphon and Koh Tao. This begins in early June and ends in late September. This is a good opportunity to dive this area without the hassle (IMHO) of doing day-trip diving from Koh Tao.

Although June is a bit late for the Similans, what about the southern Andamans? I have really enjoyed diving Hin Muang and Hin Daeng. I wonder if these islands are accessible in June? Stevel might be the person to ask.
Yes, they are accessible if there are enough people for a trip there. And the latter will probably be an issue for both daytrips (only option from Koh Lanta) and liveaboards (best bet would be Phuket).

Are you committed to Thailand? We went to the Philippines last June and had fabulous weather. The diving is far better and cheaper than Thailand in my very humble opinion.The accommodation is also wonderful value.

Sorry to confuse matters further.

Officially these sites will be closed in June. The Lanta Marine Park have been closing Hin Daeng & Hin Muang and Koh Ha over the low season for the last two years, same as the Similans further north...

Officially these sites will be closed in June. The Lanta Marine Park have been closing Hin Daeng & Hin Muang and Koh Ha over the low season for the last two years, same as the Similans further north...
You're correct, forgot about that for a moment.

Mixxa let me know when and where you'll be there, when you decide! I'll be in Phuket for 5 nights in late June, traveling with non-divers, and I'd love hit the water sometime. I'm also trying to figure out the best options - would really like to do a 2-3 night liveaboard - so I'll be watching this thread for further advice!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom