Thank the powers of the Deep...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As much as I feel there is a problem in the industry I also feel there are some great instructors out there who deserve kudos.

I was in a dive shop last week getting lenses put in a mask. The shop employee answered the phone just as I came in. While milling around the store I heard him talking to the person on the other end. He said they had a certain pool reserved for the whole evening. They would get there at six and go through all the skills then work on whichever skills she needed help with. The instructor went on to say they would work on them until "SHE WAS COMFORTABLE". I thought this was great. He reiterated to her that they had no time limit on the pool which had a hot tub next to it for her to warm up in if she got cold.

These are the kind of stories that I like to hear about. That diver was doing an O/W course and will probably go on to future courses due to her great experience - or she won't but she'll be a great diver.

I feel there is more money in giving someone great service with a great experience. This is what brings them back for more.

Jennifer,
http://www.MichiganShipwrecks.com

We don't have to allow competition from poor instructors pull us down to their level. I know I lose students who want a promise they'll pass. I also lose students who want a fast course. I also lose students who are looking for the cheapest class in town. I could allow that to pull me down and compete with those instructors.

I don't.

Someone who wants to learn to dive in a weekend or doesn't want to apply themselves to actually learn anything or someone who doesn't value what I have to offer is not someone I want in my class.

I want students who want to learn, who are willing to take the necessary time to learn and who understand the value of my time, knowledge and my ability to teach it to them.

I'm aiming at a different segment of the population.

Walter

Walter,

STANDING OVATION! You are the kind of instructor that this sport needs. Please keep it up and stay away from the bad crabs!!!

Jennifer

Walter,
Damn, that was impressive. I do like your style man,and from what I've been reading on this fourm, most of the instructors here feel the same way you do. Just expressed in a different manor.

Have you noticed that we don't here from any of the lame instructors, guess they just keep their mouth shut & hope nobody finds out about them. But we know they're out there & WE ARE WATCHING.

Keep up the GOOD work.

This everybody needs to know

Don

I for one may not have the experiance of some of you but I am out there meeting the instructors and new students every day. We all know the type BIG head ego's, knowitall's and just plain out for the buck of the O/W class. I just met with a group of 6 friends about a week ago and they had a bad experiance with an instructor that almost made them turn away from diving. Just as many people stated, the lack of proper training and care to the students. I introduced them to a great instructor I took D/M class with and now they wish to learn more AFTER they fix what the first guy did not teach. I know every dive shop and equipment maker is out to make money but None of them should rank profit over safty or fun. We all know the more people who become divers the more problems can occur but that is in anything. We see a problem and must find a solid way to fix it. I know PADI has an evaluation report about the instructor but what NEW student "knows" the right from wrong? I agree they can judge the attitude but what about safty or teaching the right practices?

I think everyone is in agreement about bad instructors. I know Walter personally and he truly is the epitome of a good instructor. He also teaches by example to any and all who dive with him. I think the other Instructors who post here are the same.

What concerns me is we always tell students to pick a good instructor, to find one they are comfortable with. What I've seen is that new students don't know what makes a good Instructor, don't have a clue to the sort of questions they need to ask. They go into a dive shop, one they've maybe chosen by the variety of the inventory or the price of the class, and sign up for the next available class. They more than likely don't even know the Instructors name until they get to class, much less get to meet him/her.

If the student has problems in a class, they automatically think they are lacking in some way, rather than considering it may be the Instructor not doing his/her job properly (from lack of skill, desire or whatever).

It usually isn't until after a student is certified and is exposed to other divers, experienced divers, who tell tales of their own certifications, that the new diver realizes what they didn't learn or what was taught improperly.

I was lucky. When I got certified, my class was 12 weeks long. Tuesdays were academics for 4 hours and Thursdays was pool for 4 hours. Plus I had one of the 'Good Instructors'. It's really hard to see the students go through one of the fast weekend courses...but that's a whole other thread!

So, Kudo's to you Instrcutors, like Walter, who stick to your convictions and strive to truly teach the art of scuba the way it should be taught.

dsao
Dee

Here is a little secret ...

I was trying to refer to those whom stink at teaching, have negative attitude's and harm the industry with their incompetance. Not only are these people ignorant, but downright malicious at times.

There are websites out there that are just as guilty if not more so... What frustrates me is people follow them without realizing they are only making matters worse.

=-)

I have already told several new "wanna-be" divers about this board, and told them it was a great resource if they have any question about diving. Everyone here appears to be very knowledgable, friendly, and most important, non-judgemental, and I have learned alot in the past few weeks.

I agree, there are bad instructors out there. Some are there because agencies allow them to push through too fast (more money for the agency)...but I think most of the bad instructors are that way because they don't have the patience or understanding to teach, or they just don't care anymore. They are good divers, but they forget the problems and fears they had when they were in OW.

But, truthfully, I don't think most new divers post their questions on this board because they have bad instructors. Some of them do, but I think most are just intimidated by the "INSTRUCTOR" (now...don't get a swelled head guys *grins*)

Working as a DM "in-training", I find alot of students asking me questions that are very valid, but they kind of whisper them to me, because they figure their questions are stupid. Usually, I try to help them, or field their questions to the instrutor, so they will understand that he isn't the "Scuba God", but just a diver like themselves, just with a little more experience.

I knew one girl that was just certified that insisted she wanted the "long" jet fins..cause that is what her instructor used! (she had a size 6 foot, and the "long" ones are XL) Her instructor had no idea, cause she figured those were the best, and was too shy to ask him if they were best for her, thinking it was a stupid question.

So, not all the questions posted are from students of "bad" instructors..although, I'm sure some are. But this is a safe place to ask things that people wouldn't ordinarily ask an instructor. And, I'm definitely going to pass this on to more new students...as well as some experienced divers!

One question...any one else reading these from Guam?

Scubabunny

You hit the mark right on with this board. I have told all my close diving buddies about the knowledge, professionalism and respect for each other, that this board has.

Maybe the instructors of the group can answer this question...and I know it will be different from each agency...but in general, have the pre-scuba screening tests changed much over the years? I remember the beast of a swimming test that each of us had to preform before we could continue with the course. I was fortunate to have an amazing instructor who viewed it as a continuing bond. We could come back to her years later and get diving advice etc.
In the last year or two though, I have heard some newer divers saying that they just needed a medical and that was it (different instructors).

I was just wondering if the rules and regs had changed.

Cheers,

Bio guy

Like Scuba bunny,
I too
- have shared this board to "wannabe's" and to fellow divers, as a place to go to have questions answered.
- have learned a heck of a lot since I've been reading it
- agree there are bad instructors out there
- am a DM "in-training" and have had those really unique questions from students who appear to think the their instructor is some sort of God.

I'm thinking I've found a lost sibling or something with Scuba Bunny. Nah I'd be in Guam also instead of a place with 3 feet of snow on the ground and -4 degrees (Fahrenheit)! :D

My battle against bad instructors actually starts with my own dive shop. There are two associated with the shop that I will not deal with and have told the shop that I won't. One thinks he is God (he's not), the other is only after 'certifications' to climb up the ladder in the instructor classifications. Ar-r-rg!

My next battle is with the places that certify divers after a few hours of diving and little bit of instruction in the sunny south. The divers come back home, and well trust me, they are not ready for the real world up here. I think there should be some sort of warning placed on these divers. Salt vs fresh water, warm vs cold, exposure suit vs none most really don't fully comprehend the differences. I still remember the guy who was certified in the Caribbean who expected to be able to dive in a shortie, no hood, no gloves ,no booties - in water that was about 60 degrees! :bonk:

Well there's my 0.02 - even though most is just agreeing with Scuba Bunny, but SB's comments were right on the money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom