The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo once bubbled...
It's almost a given in San Francisco that parties of 5 or 6 or more at ANY service establishment are going to be hit by a 15-20% automatic gratuity charge - which you don't have the option of not paying, even if service sucks. It's not possible to partonise alternate venues, because everyone does it! So you're saying that this isn't always being passed on to staff?

How common is this? Anyone else working in the service industry that can share?

incentive for servers. I can't stand it when I get a bill with the service charge already added. I was a waiter in a very nice restaurant in university. It was run by Europeans who took the vocation of waiter as a real career, not just something to do while going to school. From them I learned what good service really is. Knowing that my total income was dependent upon giving impecable service, I worked hard for my tips. Today when I eat out, I have very high standards but I realize that like anything else, if you don't know you were taught wrong, it's hard to correct. I am more than willing to tip very well for good service (15-20% plus) and average for most service (10 to 15%) and nothing for complete incompetence (I've only done this twice).

I find the increasing trend of pre-applying a service charge (which the management skims and re-allocates) is a complete scam both for the server and for the diner. The server doesn't necessarily get anything extra for great service and is going to get paid a fixed amount regardless so not only is there no incentive to really give outstanding service, there is also no disincentive to do the minimum. Of course you can complain to the management in the case of a complete disaster but this is not something most diners will do. Also, quite frankly, the 15 to 20% add on is absurd considering the poor overall standard of service in many restaurants with this policy. Once again, the consumer is getting hung for management not wanting to pay their staff what they are worth.

As a personal example, I recently attended my wife's staff Christmas party. There were approximately 25 people in attendence at a very nice restaurant. The menu was a set menu (you will get this and you will like it) served "family style" so the waiters and chefs didn't even have to worry about presentation or who was getting what. This restaurant had three other large parties at the same time. The food was mediocre at best, the staff was surly ("once you have sat down don't move at all as we are tracking your bar bills individually, hey you just moved over, stop confusing me") and completely inattentive (some people were never offered drinks, no one had a water glass refilled, took an hour and a half for the food to start arriving, plates and cutlery were not removed and replaced etc.) All in all, not a great experince but..."although we have already added 15% to your bill, please feel free to add as much as you want above this amount."

So...end of rant...to sum up, tip individually dependent upon the level of service, remember that the management will determine a set percentage regardless of staff performance so ensure you recognize those who have gone above any beyond.

I Live just outside of london and tipping is more and more common place.
However I only tip if the service is good. But on holiday I tip more especialy in poorer countries.
When I traveled to turkey last summer leaving a tip of just £1 ($1.5) was about a days wages for the poorest paid.
If im staying all inclusive I tip at the end of my stay.
I would never tip a DM - but would make a point of buying him/her a beer.

In the U.S. I always tip DMs well. Often times these folks are completely unpaid. Their only compensation is free dives when space allows and discounts on gear. Sometimes Captains will even point out to the divers that their DMs are unpaid (I find this annoying, but some people need to be told).

Having said that, in other countries, if I know they're paid I tip less, but I generally tip if they did a good job and were helpful. Especially if they're not the tipe to scream "DIVE! DIVE DIVE!" so loudly that your reg pops out of your mouth in surprise. :eek:

I'm new to diving, and was wondering what would be a normal tip for a single dive? Does the tip jar on the boat get split up to all the crew? Do you tip the DM separately?

When we stay at ALL-Inclusives we will always tip the house keeping staff and only tip the food and drink servers if the service is outstanding. We have been to some resorts where you can see by the second night if the servers are tip driven.
When in Mexico we usually leave cash. In some third world countries we do research before we go.
Find out what is real hard to get there and is marked up in price greatly. Sometimes you can leave gifts in the room that cost you a couple of bucks that the maid would have to work for two weeks to buy. We also pick up these multi packs that have a folding knife and a multi-tool like the leatherman. All the non English speaking guys at the diveshop get these at the end of the first diving day. DID I say Third world....sorry Make that hard to get to. Some Islands have extremely high import taxes. Many deals can also be made with slightly more expensive goods.

Antigua....you would be surprized what a $49.00 CD Burner and a $10.00 spindle of CDRs will get you. A weeks worth of motorcycle rental and two tickets for the booze cruise / trimaran snorkel trips.

I am going to Mexico (Cozumel) and I wanted to know what to tip the Divemaster, the boat Captain, the guy who puts my tanks together.. etc. I dont want to appear cheap nor do I want to appear as a total greenhorn.

Thanks

In most cases the Divemaster or deckhand is only working for tips so make sure you are generous. $10-$20 US is usually pretty fair. I tend to lean more towards the $20 range. If there are multiple divemasters or deckhands I usually give them $10 US per DM.

O.K...I would say it is sort of related to how much work the dude had to do.

I would think 10 bucks for a half day charter on a boat that was really more of a transport vehicle is a little bit too much.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
O.K...I would say it is sort of related to how much work the dude had to do.

I would think 10 bucks for a half day charter on a boat that was really more of a transport vehicle is a little bit too much.

You bring up a good point. Most of the boats that I have been on the DMs do a very good job and I tend to be a good tipper.

Being the devils advocate...a very good dive operator in the Keys will tell anyone that the deck hand/DM should be paid by the operator a decent wage! DM's/deck hands are not waiters.

In the words of a friend of mine:
If they offer helpful advice and help me set up I give $5
If they shut up and keep out of my way they get $10

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom