The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally, it is half day $10, full day $20. However, keep in mind that many DMs work just for tips. Accordingly, if they are professional and treat you well ... tip more. If not ... tip less.

Man on a boat trip of say 10 people, they earn more than I earned when I was waiting tables for a 6 hour stretch! I got to get me one of them DM certs...but then again maybe not!

Locally (stateside) I consider $10 for a 2-4 tank dive day to be appropriate (as does one of our LDS'es). The only other boat dives I've done were in Thailand, Australia, Fiji and Tahiti and I didn't tip in any of those countries. I did take some of the DM's out to dinner afterwards (but that was because they were not only good at their jobs, but attractive women as well... I'm so bad but at least I'm honest).

Dr. Bill

In Cozumel, on the advice of the dive operator, I gave the crew 60 pesos (~US$6) per day for three days of two-tank diving, and an extra 80 pesos to two divemasters who had been particularly helpful.

I would say $5 a dive (10 bucks in your case).. then, as an added bonus, since there is more diving to be had, hook the crew up with a 6 pack in a disposable cooler.. not only do you get remembered the next day, but you get exceptional service!

As a newbie, I'm not sure what the protocol is for tipping the dive boat (as in giving them a monetary tip, not tipping the boat over). I realize that, to a great extent, it should be based on the amount of service provided, but what range do you all use? I've been giving them US$20 (for my wife and I), but overheard one couple saying that they give $10.

Any input?

David :confused:

I usually give $10. Some I dive with give a little less. For outstanding service, I may give a bit more...

For college kids using a boat, I would say $1 to $2 is plenty for a tip.

For working people, I would say $5 to $10 each.

I tip $10 for myself and another $10 if my wife comes along, per dive trip.

If there are 20 divers on the boat, who each tip $10, that is $200 bucks for the D/M and the pilot to split.

For a week long cruise, I usually tip $50 for myself and another $50 for my wife.

Back
Top Bottom