The all-inclusive tipping note -- Boats, DMs & Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voop once bubbled...
Anyways, we're going way off of what the original posting was about. I deeply apologize :)

I'm diggin this thread.

I know I've seen this subject a time or two on the board, and I haven't dug into the archives - so shoot me now if this is rehash - but I'd be curious to know if any crew members or cap'tns (who are boarders / posters here) feel the divers on their commercial boats "get it" or are basically stiffing them.

I think my brother Ken and I have been on a few of these same boats ( :D )... where the operator, or charter shop guy (chartermaster?) is stumping hard for the divers to give it up for the crew.

There is a place for the shop that charters to throw it out there as a reminder, and then there is the hard sell, and of course there is the merciless pleas and repeated calls to the jar that bring into question the chartermaster's true motives.

I think divers that stiff on a trip should get tossed into the drink, but I also believe the proportional giving mentioned earlier in the thread is a good guideline. Either way, divers need to plan on bringing a reasonable tip for the crew - and if its an exceptional trip, share the love.

K

I figure on $20 for a two tank boat dive. If I ever get sub-standard service, that would be reduced, but so far, (knock on wood) I've had great service.
kwesler and Mo2vation make good points. I deal cards, so I work for tips myself, and I'll add that a $100 a day charter with the minimum wage dm's working for tips would turn into a $110 or $120 a day, if no one tipped, with the added money going to the crew's pay.
Right or wrong, that's the way our society is set up, and I'm not going to stiff someone who provides good service.

It kind of depends upon where in the world you are but on the tropical trips that I lead I usually request $5. per day from each diver. Additionally I hold onto the tips and give them in one lump sum after the last dive. That way its a pile of cash and if for any reason you have someone who doesent tip or doesent tip well then it really isn't as noticable.

Julie

I just returned from Grand Cayman. I received excellent service from the staff at DiveTech. In particular, they let me run my own profiles, even joining me on some of the better dives. They showed me some deeper than usual swimthroughs and caverns, hooked me up for some great deeper shore dives off Turtle Reef and, generally, made my trip the best one yet.

So, I tipped $120.00 for 12 dives. I threw in some extra for the day that my wife went diving.

Putting it in perspective. That's less than a typical dinner out for two on Seven Mile Beach, yet their services made the entire week better.

I like taking care of the people who went out of their way to make my vacation memorable.

JulieParkhurst once bubbled...
It kind of depends upon where in the world you are but on the tropical trips that I lead I usually request $5. per day from each diver. Additionally I hold onto the tips and give them in one lump sum after the last dive. That way its a pile of cash and if for any reason you have someone who doesent tip or doesent tip well then it really isn't as noticable.

Julie

I've started a couple of these discussions in international forums, but it's good to see it here, too...

I try to tip about as well in Roatan as I do in the states - if the service is good - which it usually is, even though I know the DM's base pay is less out of country. I figure I'm enjoying the country's resources at a cheap price, with the owners, operators, and financers getting the profits - so I don't mind expressing appreciation well there, as well as stateside.

And I usually prefer to tip every day. I know that the crew gets stiffed by some groups, and I want them to know that I'm not one of them. If we have the same crew every day, we get great service from an encouraged crew. If we get a different crew, differnet boats, changes - this is even more important.

$5 day? :$: I usually give 'em $5 per tank. Put it in the DM's hand as I leave the boat, with a warm "thanks!"

On the rare occassion that I feel pressured for tips inappropriately, or I'm getting bad service, (a) if in a group, I'll ask the leader to talk to the captain or manager, (b) if alone, or if the leader doesn't deal with it, I'll find the captain or manager. (Sometimes I forget and skip the group leader, but I'm working on my recovery!)

I understand these things are different on the other sides of both oceans, but I like it here. Encourages good services.

don

Northeastwrecks once bubbled...
I just returned from Grand Cayman. I received excellent service from the staff at DiveTech. In particular, they let me run my own profiles, even joining me on some of the better dives. They showed me some deeper than usual swimthroughs and caverns, hooked me up for some great deeper shore dives off Turtle Reef and, generally, made my trip the best one yet.

So, I tipped $120.00 for 12 dives. I threw in some extra for the day that my wife went diving.

Putting it in perspective. That's less than a typical dinner out for two on Seven Mile Beach, yet their services made the entire week better.

I like taking care of the people who went out of their way to make my vacation memorable.

See, that's also what might may me tip too (not sure 'bout the amount, which strikes me as high, but that's besides the point). You got something beyond the "here's the site, there are your cylinders, try to surface before you run out of gas" point of duty, and got shown something extra. Something beyond what, I think, you paid for when paying the charter.

Mexico, Carribean, Central & South America. Grew up there, been doing it for years. You'll never be wrong with 10%.

Regards,

I just went out with Fisheye in G. Cayman for 4 days of 2 tank dives (actually 4 dives on the last day) and I tipped $20 a day except the last day I threw them $40 bucks (I decided to dive again in the afternoon but already tipped them $40 on the last day just because they deserved it). They were awesome. You want help you got it. You want a guide on the second non-guided dives, you got it. You want to setup your own gear, you got it. Nitrox ready to go. I'm a new diver and started out heavy. After 2 days I was down to 3# on the belt and diving neutrally buoyant throughout my dives. I never thought I could have gotten to that point with my diving on one trip but I did. I got way more than I bargained for. Just an awesome experience all around. After several dives they let me and my buddy do what we wanted as long as it was safe. I don't mind tipping for that kind of service. For what you spend to get a trip like that together a hundred bucks is a drop in the bucket. I know next time I go out with them it will come back around to me also.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom