the correct name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Six of one, half a dozen of another. Unless you think you might be mis-understood it's OK to make the choice of terms yourself.

Unless you run into these beauties:

RESPIRATOR = REGULATOR
OXYGEN = AIR
GOGGLES = MASK

And I'm sure there are a few more...

I was taught cyilinder and like the word. I don't get twisted about tank or bottle though.

Now you octopus is your entire air delivery system including your 1st stage, second stages, spg and other hose mounted items and accessory hoses. It is NOT your alternate second stage alone.

Pete

Dan Gibson:
How about bottle, as in deco bottle :wink:
decompression compressed air cylinder just doesn't roll off the tongue too well does it.

cnctina:
I lose sleep over this one.
Is it a tank or a cylinder?

I also heard Vessel - If I remember well, that is used in the PSI inspection book.

eric

voodoodiver:
I was always told and have always taught that it is a cylinder and that a Tank was a Large Military vehicle that had a Cannon attached to the top.

Russ:14:

The origin of that term was in WW I when they were shipped by the British in large containers marked "tank" to mislead the Germans. That name for that weapon is a deliberate misnomer. The first definition of tank is: A large, often metallic container for holding or storing liquids or gases.

I have always called it "the round thingie that you put air in, and screw the hoses on top of"

You are all so wrong. If you had listened in class you would know that it is the little magic contaiment vessel that allows me to breath underwater. Once my magic gauge shows the magic is getting low I take it back to the mysterious shop and they somehow refill the magic back to a good level and I am able to breath underwater again. I must be careful though, if the magic runs out while I am underwater I can die.

Stop worrying about how the magic works it just does.

We'll just call it what it is "MAGIC CONTAINMENT VESSEL".

rockjock3:
We'll just call it what it is "MAGIC CONTAINMENT VESSEL".

Yes! I like that.

I lose sleep over knowing that I am going to be another year older this year! When the heck did I get to be this old???? When asked, I am going to start telling people how old I feel....today 35, yesterday 50 :05:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom