the correct name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina:
I lose sleep over this one.
Is it a tank or a cylinder?
A tank is a container, not necessarily pressurized.

"Cylinder" normally refers to a pressure container shaped roughly like a cylinder.

There is no "official" definition of either.

"Pressure vessel", on the other hand, is well defined and not often used in this context.

Pleasant dreams.

voodoodiver:
I was always told and have always taught that it is a cylinder and that a Tank was a Large Military vehicle that had a Cannon attached to the top.

Is that a UK Light Cannon?

howarde:
So... I guess nobody else calls it a breathie doohickie?

No a breathie doohickie is clearly what I have heard others refer to as a 2nd stage. I was taught the proper name was that big heavy thing over there.

voodoodiver:
I was also taught Flippers are what whales and dolphins have.:D

Russ
Whales and dolphins are mammals! They have flippers. Divers are human, therefore mammals. That would mean....O God, this is really heavy!
My reality has just crumbled. :wink: Am I wearing goggles?
Goin back to the "My booty stinks thread "before I go on sensory overload.
DSAO

Bottle.....tank....cylinder...dialect...depends where you are from...torpedo, sub, hoggie....see ya` under

voodoodiver:
I was also taught Flippers are what whales and dolphins have.:D

Russ

Whales and dolphins have flukes. The difference between flukes and fins is that flukes are horizontal and fins are vertical.

Therefore, calling foot mounted propulsion paddles 'fins' is technically incorrect. Flippers is technically less incorrect, and flukes is technically correct.

Therefore, all the people who call them fins must immediately and henceforth cease and desist calling them by the incorrect name and repent, labelling all such devices as swim flukes. Further, they must seek out and apologize to every person they incorrectly derided for calling said devices flippers and acknowledge that they, not the unsuspecting newbie were wrong.

:D

Tachyon

tachyon:
Whales and dolphins have flukes. The difference between flukes and fins is that flukes are horizontal and fins are vertical.

So I guess the protrusion on their backs ( whales and Dolphins ) is called a Dorsal Fluke? Not dorsal Fin?

Russ:14:

Actually, cylinder is origionally the name for the space (specificly) inside a closed-end tubular object.

voodoodiver:
So I guess the protrusion on their backs ( whales and Dolphins ) is called a Dorsal Fluke? Not dorsal Fin?

Russ:14:

You missed the bit about vertical, didn't you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom