the correct name

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fins vs flippers

They are man made equipment, they are not part of an animals body.

Who cares? What you call them tells me something about you. If you say fins, you're an experienced diver or you learned from someone who was careful about such things. If you say flippers, you're not a diver, or you had an instructor who did not pay attention to details, or you've been diving a very, very, long time. In most circles, folks think I've been diving a long time. One of my early mentors, who started diving about the time I was born, calls them flippers. Who the hell are we to correct his terminology of dive equipment?

My cressi-sub mask claims to be an "Individual Protection Device class 1 concieved to protect the diver's eye's against direct contact with water." I think we would all understand if they just called it a mask.

prittykitty:
My cressi-sub mask claims to be an "Individual Protection Device class 1 concieved to protect the diver's eye's against direct contact with water." I think we would all understand if they just called it a mask.

Reminds me of a car we had. The dash would light up saying DECKLID AJAR ..... oh TRUNK OPEN!

Pete

Actually...

A tank is a container not designed to hold "gas" under pressure.

A cylinder is a container for gas storage under pressure.

Common usage has most US divers referring to their gas can as a "tank." There are much better subjects for argument, and many more things to keep you awake at night...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom