The cost of scuba equipment and non-diver spouses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i got my wife into diving and as soon as she had done a few dives and was hooked i bought her all new gear. she'll prob never be obsessed with it like i am but she can't complain when i want an extra piece of kit and now she understands why i spend so much $$$ on it. prior to that i was spending big $$$ on music equipment and she has a diamond and shoe fetish so it kinda all works out about equal.

RJP3:
How do you explain/justify/hide what you spend on gear?

:)

You just have to take her to some nice tropical paradise, where you can dive and she can sit on the beach and read a book or what ever it is that people that don't dive do. Let her know if it wasnt' for diving your family vacations would be to check out the worlds largest ball of string.

I guess every relationship is different. Once all the bills are paid, the extra money I earn is mine to do as I please.

Heck, diving is probably my cheapest hobby!

How do you explain/justify/hide what you spend on gear?

I'm into diving and long-distance cycling, she's into marathons and triathlons. We are mutually supportive; I attend all of her events and see to it that her equipment needs are met, and she does the same for me.

As children, my sister and I used to split a bottle of coke with a magnifying glass and an eyedropper. As adults, hopefully you grow beyond that.

Support her interests, and ask her to support yours.

Steve

Damselfish:
Having a diving spouse works best.

Works well... except then you have twice the expense. Just none of the guilt.

H20Bubbles:
Works well... except then you have twice the expense. Just none of the guilt.
actually, without the guilt as a controlling factor, probably more than twice the expense. And we've got a weakness for travel ...

Diving is the inexpensive hobby! The time is the hard thing to justify not the $.

Why would you need to justify anything? I do what I want she does what she wants within our budget.

Peter_C:
I guess every relationship is different. Once all the bills are paid, the extra money I earn is mine to do as I please.

Heck, diving is probably my cheapest hobby!

Hahahahaha. Newlywed or living in denial. I have rewritten your statement to correctly reflect marriage.

Once all the bills are paid, SHE LETS me spend the extra money as I please.

This is a condition that she can change at will. I am not complaining. But, when my wife decides that I have spent enough for awhile then I abide. Heck, she could just come out and say no. Also, if your are spending that extra money as you want, she might not be saying anything, but let me assure you that she is keeping tabs and can/will eventually or from time to time collect.

rapidiver:
New gear is quickly and quietly stowed in the darkest corner of the garage

And then it is like that proverbial dress on the closet. "Oh, that old thing? Had it for quite a while."

The problem with your spouse diving too is she KNOWS that new kit couldn't have come from ebay for $475

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom