The cost of scuba equipment and non-diver spouses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once you got enough gear, the new gear never gets noticed, when she asks, just say you got that junk long time ago and that you told her about it when it was fresh.

Or you can say the truth if she can handle it.

Some themes, I just don't bring them up with my girlfriend...........

You can buy her $300.00 worth of diamonds for no reason and tell her how much you love her before telling her about your $600.00 new Regulator sets.

Either way, you have to compromise in some way, lie or not, spend more on her or not, only you can decide which way to go.

My wife dives so its my job to make sure that we have everything we need for life support(and a few things I want). Its all good, by the way she has no idea how much was really spent and I am trying to keep it that way :)

My wife was a little upset until she found out that I was going to drag her to Hawaii and Cozumel on a regular basis. She soon forgot! Warm sandy beaches seem to numb their senses.

I can understand how some people may find themselves in a situation where there simply is not quite enough extra cash around to justify major purchases for a "hobby", but lies lead to mistrust, and it only gets worse from there. My wife is not a diver, and due to a series of ear infections throughout childhood was left with only 30% hearing in one ear. It was made clear to her by her doc that a rupture in that ear would more than likely lead to total loss of hearing and those were risks she was not willing to run. Life is about compramise....she sure has a hard time accepting how much my dive and photo gear costs....but cannot argue much as I spent close to
12,ooo dollars on her engagement ring. It's a god$^%# bunch of shiny rocks with a metal band to me but to her it meant the whole world....so....
trying to hide the cost of your gear is futile, if she has the mental development of a soccer ball she/he is going to figure out the actual prices and be more upset about the fact that you tried to lie. I simply tell my wife, this is not my "hobby", it is my passion....it is part of who I am, and as long as I am not spending the kind of money we are going to miss, I have nothing to feel guilty about.
-R-

miketsp:
When I opened this thread I really thought I was going to find a poll on whether it was better to spend money on diving gear OR on a non-diving spouse. :D

You've seen the bumper sticker, right?

"I got SCUBA gear for my wife. Best trade I've ever made."

I see guys with 25K fishing boats, 30K pickups to haul them and several thousand dollars of fishing gear in them. Shoot, my paltry 3K of diving gear is a pittance...and she gets to go on the trips with me.

mikerault:
I see guys with 25K fishing boats, 30K pickups to haul them and several thousand dollars of fishing gear in them. Shoot, my paltry 3K of diving gear is a pittance...and she gets to go on the trips with me.

I bet many that posted here have to claim possesion of the boat and mandatory tow vehicle as well as the diving gear so I guess were in deep do-do!eyebrow

I lost my second wife due to the repair costs of my boat. I lost my boat to the insurance company due to the high repair costs. I now beach dive a lot. That's a lot cheaper than a boat or a wife. I really miss that boat....just kidding.

My wife has a habbit of eating lunch "out" with her girlfiends at work. I used this to my advantage. $8 per day....5 days per week....52 weeks per year comes to around $2080 per year spent on her social lunches. I on the other hand "bag it" almost everyday. So as long as I spend less the $2000 per year on my gear we're even!!

I have also found that like "WINK69" 's wife....mine quits worrying about it when she hears where I'm taking her on vacation!!

Good Luck!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom