The cost of scuba equipment and non-diver spouses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP3:
How do you explain/justify/hide what you spend on gear?

:)

I don't. But then, I don't spend a lot on new equipment. When I do buy something new, my wife looks at it and says simply, "Use it well."

A successful marraige requires some compromise. ;-)

Peter_C:
I guess every relationship is different. Once all the bills are paid, the extra money I earn is mine to do as I please.

ANNNNGH....WRONG....All extra money belongs to the IRS...:D

rapidiver:
New gear is quickly and quietly stowed in the darkest corner of the garage

this is where i have a contingency plan. have purchased all dive rite gear (same as mine) so if there does come a time where she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore it all seamlessly integrates into my kit eyebrow

The road to divorce is a nasty one. Been there done that. Don't want to do it again. My present wife does not dive. I take care of her and she takes care of me. Sometimes it takes a little wine and schmoozing to say ,set up a pair of doubles, but in the end, everyones happy. Treating her nice gives me the freedom to do what I want. You just have to keep your priorities straight.

jim

Damselfish:
Having a diving spouse works best. Failing that, make sure they have an expensive hobby of their own. (I have both - hubby is into UW photography - anything I buy pales next to his habit!)

My wife dives too but I still get some interesting looks when I show up at the house with new gear. She is pretty content to rent. She has had the occasional equipment failure, though...

RJP3:
How do you explain/justify/hide what you spend on gear?

Why would you ever want to live that way? I hear this all the time and can't believe it. Be a man! Is it a crime to spend your hard earned money on a hobby? She should be happy your spending money on something that helps keeps you in shape, sharpens the mind and is a great learning experience. Would she rather you spend the money at bars and strip clubs? That, my friend, is for us single guys!! :wink:

When I opened this thread I really thought I was going to find a poll on whether it was better to spend money on diving gear OR on a non-diving spouse. :D

this one is easy.
my paychecks from 2 jobs are directly deposited into her checking account.
anytime i sell a load of firewood or lay a hardwood oak floor, i get to keep.
these funds are spent on gear and dive trips.

Wish I had that problem...

My wife and I both work full-time, we have a 2-year-old and another due the 18th of April, student loans, mortgage, mini-van payment,...

The only gear purchase I've made in the last 10 years was a BC I bought for $30.

Oh, and a new battery for my watch. Does that count?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom