The difference in backplates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DSS plates are used with doubles all the time. As long as the tank band bolts haven't been too short there is no problem.

Tobin

I know they are. I also know the shallower bend used in DSS plates (which makes them superior IMO for single tank applications) means DSS plates fit a smaller percentage of the tank band bolts presently in use on the planet than most other plates. For people in control of the doubles rigs they dive, that shouldn't be an issue. For others who may be renting doubles rigs while traveling, it might be an issue.

You can call the bolts "too short" all you like, that's not going to help someone who arrives to find the only doubles available for rent have bolts long enough for non-DSS plates but for which a DSS plate is not bent enough to fit.

I know they are. I also know the shallower bend used in DSS plates (which makes them superior IMO for single tank applications) means DSS plates fit a smaller percentage of the tank band bolts presently in use on the planet than most other plates. For people in control of the doubles rigs they dive, that shouldn't be an issue. For others who may be renting doubles rigs while traveling, it might be an issue.

You can call the bolts "too short" all you like, that's not going to help someone who arrives to find the only doubles available for rent have bolts long enough for non-DSS plates but for which a DSS plate is not bent enough to fit.

Maybe, but you made no mention of why DSS plates *might* not accommodate doubles.

If the bolts are fit as per norm such ad detailed here Assembling Double Cylinders - Dive Gear Express DSS plates work fine.

In addition it's just not that hard to bend a plate a bit more if needed to reach short bolts. Kydex plates flex, and Stainless Steel is very ductile.

Tobin

Maybe, but you made no mention of why DSS plates *might* not accommodate doubles.

Funny, I thought my prior post was quite clear about that:

Some are not very good for doubles because they have too shallow of a bend (DSS).

If you'd prefer to think of it as the bolts being too short rather than your otherwise excellent plates having too shallow of a bend to be recommended for doubles without a caveat, that's your prerogative. But like I said, whining that the rental doubles on some third world island aren't up to the exacting "norms" specified by DGE isn't going to help someone wanting to use their DSS plate there.

In addition it's just not that hard to bend a plate a bit more if needed to reach short bolts.

Good to know, maybe you should consider doing that before you sell them.

If you'd prefer to think of it as the bolts being too short rather than your otherwise excellent plates having too shallow of a bend to be recommended for doubles without a caveat, that's your prerogative. But like I said, whining that the rental doubles on some third world island aren't up to the exacting "norms" specified by DGE isn't going to help someone wanting to use their DSS plate there.

How is telling the truth "whinning"? The reality is most doubles set up as per the link I provided. Most use standard length fasteners. A few may not.

Good to know, maybe you should consider doing that before you sell them.
Why would I want to make DSS back plate less useful for single tank diving, when the vast majority of back sold today will never see use with doubles? A small percentage of all plates are used with doubles, and some small fraction of those *might* encounter a poorly set up set of tanks.

Tobin

I know they are. I also know the shallower bend used in DSS plates (which makes them superior IMO for single tank applications) means DSS plates fit a smaller percentage of the tank band bolts presently in use on the planet than most other plates.

This may be a dumb question but couldn't you just bring your own bolts with you?

This may be a dumb question but couldn't you just bring your own bolts with you?
They are an intrinsic part of the way the bands are set up on doubles. You could do it but it would be a bit of work. That said some people would go to that length, they often travel with bands and valves to set up doubles in remote locations where they aren't usually available. I have seen people have another issue with bolts. During my fundies retest one of my buddies noticed a bit of an issue when trying to set up his plate and wings. The doubles he was renting from a shop had different bolts to the previous sets he had rented. Unfortunately they were too large for the holes in his plate. I don't know that the set was in the usual rental rotation, it might have been a stop gap measure so they didn't have to fire up the compressor again but things got sorted in the end after people shuffled sets around till everyone ended up happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom