The Dive Buddy's Creed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm doing something wrong. I always end up with the lead weights. The next time we have to split up someones gear and they ask everyone what they want I won't try to slow them down by yelling, "Wait!". :wink:

Joe

I hadn't expected to have a thread started with my thughts on instabuddies... especially since I went to the trouble of growing by own dive buddy. I was flattered when I discovered this thread. Then I was disheartened by the digression to splitting up gear. Ken's comment: "This thread isn't going the way I expected;" was humorous enough to make everything ok again. StSomewhere and Charlie99 made great contributions, which I hereby adopt. However, it was Joe who caused me to laugh so hard that ... well, every time I think of Joe getting the weights I laugh again.

Charlie99:
I have a simpler insta-buddy creed:

NO SURPRISES!

I like this one Charlie.

I just had a new thought on dive buddies and particularly insta-buddies. You may recall I previously said: "I am responsible for my own safety and as to my safety, a buddy is just a potential asset." And, "I'll take whomever the DM assigns. If it shortens my dive, that is just a risk that comes with not bringing my own buddy."

I was just thinking: A dive buddy is like an essential piece of equipment. If you don't bring it with, you may end up sitting out the dive. If someone has a spare, you may be able to do your dive. It may not be perfect, but at least you may be able to do the dive.

Say, for example, you forget or break your tank. Unless someone has a spare, you will end up sitting out the dive. However, if someone has an extra tank, albeit a small one, you will be able to do the dive. You may not be able to go as deep or stay down as long, but at least you will be able to do the dive.

An insta-buddy is like the borrowed tank. You may not be able to go as deep or stay down as long, but at least you will be able to do the dive.

Wayward Son:
That is a lot nicer than "If you die first, we're splitting up your gear" :wink:

"splitting up your gear"? Whatever happened to finders keepers?

I'm in the process of growing my own as well but I wouldn't exactly refer to 12-15 years before old enough to dive as an "Instabuddy".

well let's face it, unless your buddy has already been proven an asset they are still a possible risk. But when a buddy is necessary I like the old cave diver approach, "any diver can call any dive anytime without any questions". Whoever I may be diving with my only rule is that if I don't feel comfortable and call the dive, for me it is over, and I am surfacing. I once had a buddy that shook his head and argued with me under water, I left him. I explained my actions to the divemaster, who took care of the other diver. My buddy didn't realize that I was low on air. But when I get ready to call a dive I don't answer questions period. I respect everyone else's right to call the dive, the better damn well respect mine.

Sideband:
I'm doing something wrong. I always end up with the lead weights. The next time we have to split up someones gear and they ask everyone what they want I won't try to slow them down by yelling, "Wait!". :wink:

Joe

Ow, ow ow...

A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom