The endless SEAC saga is winding down and I need some advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Back in May last year I bought a pair of SEAC Synchro regs off Craigslist. They were DIN regs set up for sidemount and I wanted two identical sets for my primary and pony. It took a while to find someplace local to service them, but eventually I did. That was June.

What followed was a bit comical. They had to order parts, and apparently there was only one parts kit for that model in the entirety of north America. The other parts kit had to come from the manufacturer in Italy. Then it wan issue of the service documentation not being available on SEAC's dealer website, so they were waiting for the manufacturer to send them documentation on how to open the regs. Then they had to order a special tool kit from the manufacturer and it turns out that they had actually let their authorized service center status lapse, so the manufacturer was making them wait before they could order anything. I needed regs for Seafair and the owner offered to lend me some of his personal ones, but I bought the cheapest set on Amazon and have been using those. In November I called them and they said that everything would be ready just after the first of the year and that they weren't going to charge me for any of it.

Last week I called them and the answer was "Well, one set is ready to go, but in working on the other set we broke some irreplaceable part, so we will just give you a replacement reg set."

So, in theory I might come out ahead, but at best I will end up with three different reg sets from three different manufacturers, which is exactly what I wanted to avoid.

My question is, what should I expect and what is reasonable to ask for when I go to pick them up tomorrow? I presume they will try and give me some used but functional regs that another customer never picked up. I think the best outcome would be if they ordered me another set of the Amazon regs so I would have two matched sets, though this also brings up getting those serviced since palantec sells parts kits, but i don't think they have service centers per se.

Seeking the thoughts of the hive mind here...

(Or is that Dive mind?)

I'd try to trade them the Palantic and both SEACs for a matched pair of used, but serviced, sets of pretty much anything they have on hand.

If that doesn't work, then try to replace whichever stage of the Synchro is broken.

If it's the P Synchro, then you can get a whole new set for $125.

So, end result is they were very interested in selling me a used reg to replace the one they broke and I walked out with my one working reg and a freshly serviced second stage from the other one. On the plus side it means I now have two working regs and can start using my pony, but I don't know if that was worth 7 months and getting the other first stage broken.

In the end I think I will just buy another Palantec so that I have a matched pair and find some other shop to work on them, and possibly sell the SEAC set. Another frustrating experience with LDSs

It would help to know which Synchro you have (piston, balanced diaphragm?) Service kits are readily availble for most models.
I service my own, but I would not let anything sit in a shop over 30 days. Thats a tell to go somewhere else or there is something up with what you brought in.
Did you receive the broken 1st stage and broken part?

In the end I think I will just buy another Palantec so that I have a matched pair and find some other shop to work on them, and possibly sell the SEAC set. Another frustrating experience with LDSs

Why?

Your frustrating experience is genuinely of your own making and you seem to want to continue walking that same path.

You bought a pair of regulators that are not common in the US and had difficulty getting them serviced...I quote you as stating it was a 7 month hassle....and then as a temporary fix you purchased, off of Amazon, another uncommon reg set that is not supported in your area....and your proposed solution to your dilemma is to purchase another uncommon reg set to match what you have????

You need to assess the logic you are using in your decision making paradigm.

-Z

Wow, what a mess. This is exactly why you should not buy off-brand gear that does not have a service and parts story in your region. There are so many other great options available from actual functioning companies at all price points.

I wrote about this at length in this article from a year ago:

Why?

Your frustrating experience is genuinely of your own making and you seem to want to continue walking that same path.

You bought a pair of regulators that are not common in the US and had difficulty getting them serviced...I quote you as stating it was a 7 month hassle....and then as a temporary fix you purchased, off of Amazon, another uncommon reg set that is not supported in your area....and your proposed solution to your dilemma is to purchase another uncommon reg set to match what you have????

You need to assess the logic you are using in your decision making paradigm.

-Z
It would be one thing if the shop had said they couldn't work on them, but that was not the case. That shop advertises itself as a SEAC authorized service center and accepted the regs, saying that it would only be a couple of weeks to get them serviced. If they had said they couldn't do it or they couldn't get parts there were other options. I would have accepted no, but they never said no.

I have SEAC regs, purchased from Pirahna as well. I got two service kits for every piece that I have, knowing it is not a common brand in the US. It did take some time. I love them, they are high quality Italian made items and the price was half or less of what you pay for comparable quality regs. I now live in SE Asia. I recently had my primary reg serviced by the local guy who services everyones(dm's, instructors, etc) regs here. He had no issues and they are working great. I think your issue may have more to do with the LDS than anything else. I would find someone else for the future. Good luck!

It would be one thing if the shop had said they couldn't work on them, but that was not the case. That shop advertises itself as a SEAC authorized service center and accepted the regs, saying that it would only be a couple of weeks to get them serviced. If they had said they couldn't do it or they couldn't get parts there were other options. I would have accepted no, but they never said no.

The point I made is not about your choices in the past, it's about not learning from them as you move forward.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom