The great big, all-inclusive Leisure Pro note

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought several items from Leisure Pro and have never had a problem and everything came with a manufacturer's warranty including life support items. I always gave my LDS first option to match the price, which they did with my new BCD and saved me $200. I did buy a regulator (Mares V16) from Leisure Pro which sprung a leak and it was no problem replacing it. Don't know what the fuss is all about with Leisure Pro, they are just another scuba equipment dealer. Maybe people are naturally distrusting of a great deal.

jdf:
Maybe people are naturally distrusting of a great deal.

1. Or they're LDS owners that can't compete. 2. OR they have an obsessive compulsion against grey market dealers. 3. OR they got screwed by LP once or twice and are now wary.

These are the basis for virtually all the anti-LP remarks on the board. In many cases they bring up valid points, so don't dismiss them out of hand. And now that someone (genesis?) has mentioned that scuba.com matches LP prices, maybe I'll go over there and check them out. That would eliminate gripe #2 at least.

might also look at scubatoys.com. They will tell you straight up and will do the best they can. If you have other questions they should be able to answer them from both the LDS and internet sellers standpoint. It might be worth a call.

I have been purchasing equipment from LP for years and never had a problem. They are indeed an LDS and they have a valid repair shop. I happen to live close so I am in there quite often.

I have also bought from ScubaToys, DiveInn and many other dealers. My only question is about the use of the term "Grey Market". This term was created in the electronic market when dealers imported equipment that was not to be sold in the US due to power mismatches or sub standard parts. Always for a cheaper price.

I have looked at the equipment that I have purchased in Europe, the Caribbean, Canada and the US and it's all the same equipment. So, I ask why the term "Grey Market"?

Now if LP decides to get their equipment from price fixing companies by other means and back it up with their own warrantee; and you get a 50% savings, I think this is competing. As long as it is safely backed up. Scuba Pro is currently under federal investigation for price fixing. Which I thought was against the law in a "Fair Trade" society.

Bottom line, buy where you feel comfortable. It's your money to do with as you please. But please stop using inappropriate labels. Just my opinion, it could be wrong.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:cool1:

MaresMan1:
I have also bought from ScubaToys, DiveInn and many other dealers. My only question is about the use of the term "Grey Market". This term was created in the electronic market when dealers imported equipment that was not to be sold in the US due to power mismatches or sub standard parts. Always for a cheaper price.

I have looked at the equipment that I have purchased in Europe, the Caribbean, Canada and the US and it's all the same equipment. So, I ask why the term "Grey Market"?

In the case of LeisurePro, "grey market" refers to goods not sold under a dealer's recognized authorization. So the equipment may be brand new ScubaPro, but it does not carry the ScubaPro warranty support and other perks given to dealers. Grey market operators like LeisurePro substitute their own in-house warranty for this, which works out fine in many cases. Still, it ticks off the manufacturers and shops that happen to be authorized dealers. Grey market operators usually cannot directly purchase equipment from the manufacturer, but have to use a third party intermediary (i.e. authorized dive shop with excess stock or just shady). This is where the "grey" term most likely applies.

MaresMan1:

Hey thanks for the mentions from MaresMan1 and crpntr13... As far as why LP is Grey - besides not being an authorized dealer... most of their stuff does come from overseas. That's why right on their page they write: "We are not authorized dealers of some Manufacturers, and some of the products may not be accompanied by the manufactures Warranty valid in the United States and/or with an english manual"

One of the major concerns to end users in that situation is take for example a problem with a certain batch of computers or regulators... The manufacturer notifies owners by registration of serial numbers that they need to be recalled. If they are not registered - the owners may not know they have an issue with their equipment. Common?? Maybe not... but look at just the last few years... Uwatec Computers, Scubapro 650 regs, Aeris and Oceanic Computers, Sherwood and Genesis BCs to name just some in the last 2 years...

When you can get the full warranty at the same price - I don't understand why someone wouldn't... just in case.

Tell Fred I sent You....We buy all types of equipment from him down here. LP does warranty..I don't know where everyone always gets this info..Primarily dive shops I think..to stop You from buying Online. LeisurePro is a dive shop..they are in Manhattan ,,New York..They are Hacedic Jews..Great Service..Great Prices..There's nothing tricky about shopping with them. As others have stated..all Your gear comes in it's original box with warranty info. In some cases for some of the equipment I have purchased..LP's warranty was better than the MFG. So do Your homework. I have registered many things on MFG websites I purchased thru LP, never had any problems. Great Gear at Great Prices..and once again..Tell Fred..Bill from Guantanamo Bay sent You...

As I have stated on other posts.... it might be worth a little time and money to talk to your LDS. There are benefits that they can gie you that LP cannot. 1.) Free rentals when you item is being serviced or repaired 2.) DIVES DIVES DIVES 3.) Free wir fills with tanks 4.) DIVES DIVES DIVES 5.) Training 6.) Local support and affiliation

THese are some of the points to associate with a dive shop.I beleive that the LDS are expensive; however, many of them are willing to meet you somewhere with negotioations. It might be a little extre money, but the added benefits are there. My situation is this, $900 at LP for the nonessential including suit; over $1400 at LDS for Pony, Life Support, and Tanks. I spent about $220 more at the LDS than I would have at LP. Benefits...... DIVES DIVES DIVES. When you start to beceom friends with the LDS you can dive for discounts or even free :wink: That is what it is all about.

I just want to add one thing - When I first started out and didn't know any better, I bought a reg from LP - to sum up my experience with that - NIGHTMARE. I would gladly look forward to paying the extra money for the ability to get support when I need it - especially with a device like my regulator.

But that's just my opinion.

A small minority of LP orders gets the big screw. 'Course if I was in that 5% (I'm being generous), I'd be pissed and complain too.

ALL mail order is riskier than buying on-site, be it LP, ebay, or a Sears catalog. That's the nature of the beast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom