The joy of a p-valve - help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are also sold as Hollister InView Extra catheters

I've had the best luck with this brand.

Sure... you could use water :D

Ah look great stuff shared and the best advice I can give you is to commit to working through the few trial dives that do not go well.
I have had blow offs, rarely caths "I use wide bands" but quick disconnects.
Kinks in the hose / failure to prime the valve pre-dive, etc.
I have peeeeeeeed myself more than several times but have had several hundred comfy dives!

Make sure you mow the lawn, man scape, shave, wax however you wish but if you don't imagine what duck tape in your privates feels like!
It will make you scream bloody murder or growl under your breath.
A hot shower will help ease the glue if you need to remove the cath easier.
Take your time do not get in a hurry.

When you get used to putting a cath on in public and or remove it please be curtious and put them in the trash / vehicle/ or on your buddies antenna.
In a weekend I use two so you can stack them not he antenna.
Sorry had to go there it is funny if they do not see them till they get home!
Notice this is only to be amongst close buddies and not strangers that is not cool!

CamG

You know those annoying pull chains that hang under your friends ceiling fan? That is a perfect place to put your used catheters.

P.S.
She is not my friend any longer.

Something that has always puzzled me about routing of the p-valve hose. If the shortest distance between two points is a straight line AND gravity carries everything down, then why route the hose up?

I understand if your trim position is horizontal and you only pee when diving then you probably get most of the pee out of the hose but no guarantees and you certainly can't pee standing up without creating a reservoir in the tube and opening yourself up for UTI. It seems like getting pee all down your leg when you unplug has a high degree of possibility. SO WHY A BIG LOOP vs a short straight shot?

I run a short straight shot hose which can be a pain to connect because I need to reach way down my leg, pull the short hose up, find the quick connect, all of which requires two hands and plug in. It can open the door for comments but I never pee on myself.

Is there a better way?

Thanks
Rich

Rich, I do it because that's what I was taught to do. No idea if there's something I don't know. Actually, I'm sure I'm missing something. But, when I unplug, it is pretty much a straight shot out the tube, gravity doing all the work. Then, after I unplug I blow any remaining urine out of the tube. I've never gotten urine on me either.

Unless you have some sort of vented urethra you will have urine in the loop. The urine doesn't fall out due to gravity it's pushed out and unless you have the ability vent it or piss air you will always have urine in the tube until you unplumb.

blogger-image-651511220.jpg

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line but unless you can guarantee that distance will never change it's best to have some extra length to allow for adjustment and movement.

Ya I'm old enough that I can pretty much guarantee the distance.....I'm not going to get into a dialogue on expansion and contraction. Thanks

When I tried to use extra hose my biggest fear was a kink where the hose connected to the catheter. Now that I have a quick disconnect maybe I should try it again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom