The Lexy November '05 Dive Report thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HBDiveGirl:
Hi Jan,
Fun report, thanks!
I would guess it's a Pleurobranchea californica, as I've seen them three times in the canyon recently. Check out this photo on the slug site for confirmation? Just a guess...
http://slugsite.us/bow/nudiwk80.html

Isn't the Redondo canyon a hoot??? It's the craziest show in town, everynight!
Cheers,
Claudette

Thanks Claudette, that is it, commonly known as the California Sea Slug. LOL Cool little creatures. I'm supposed to be diving there NOW as I type this, but conditions were so bad today, so I'm taking it easy. LOL Oh, forgot to mention, we took home a 5 pound (+) bug too! Or'Deurves anyone?

During our Crescent Bay dives this weekend, Melvin and Dazedone and I saw some stuff we (or at least me) hadn't seen before. First was a cool nudibranch with two little furry antenna gizmos. We saw 3 of them. Next we saw a small school (maybe 4 or 5) of what I first thought were some kinda barracuda-lookin' things, maybe 8-10 inches long, white on the bottom and light blue on the top, with cool jagged racing stripes on the top. Melvin later ID'd them as Chub/Pacific Mackerel. I found photos of both on the web. I'm not positive the nudibranch photo is exactly what we saw, but real close.

mccabejc:
During our Crescent Bay dives this weekend, Melvin and Dazedone and I saw some stuff we (or at least me) hadn't seen before. First was a cool nudibranch with two little furry antenna gizmos. We saw 3 of them. Next we saw a small school (maybe 4 or 5) of what I first thought were some kinda barracuda-lookin' things, maybe 8-10 inches long, white on the bottom and light blue on the top, with cool jagged racing stripes on the top. Melvin later ID'd them as Chub/Pacific Mackerel. I found photos of both on the web. I'm not positive the nudibranch photo is exactly what we saw, but real close.

Jim, I too have seen that Nudi. Not quite a San Diego Dorid, and not quite a Sea Lemon Nudi. A cross perhaps?

BTW, saw your TWIN brother at Reef Point yesterday. LOL

Jan,
After looking at the image below of a San Diego Dorid, looks like what we saw is closer to that. But we weren't anywhere near San Diego. :D Interesting....

The San Diego dorid, Diaulula sandiegensis is found from Alaska to Baja and even in Japan. They can be seen in shades of dark yellow to bright white.
146Heisler+071a.jpg

OW1_019.jpg

mccabejc:

Jim,
the Nudibranch image you listed was a Peltadoris sp.

Terry

Date: 11/28/05
Dive Location: San Diego/ Vallecetos Point and south
Bottom Time: 75 minutes
Max Depth: 83ft
Avg Depth: 30ft
Vis: 5-10ft
Surface Temp: 60F
Temp at depth: 56F

Date: 11/28/05
Dive Location: San Diego/ Main Wall
Bottom Time: 64 minutes
Max Depth: 58ft
Avg Depth: 32ft
Vis: 5-10ft
Surface Temp: 60F
Temp at depth: 58F

Life seen. Tons and tons of nudibranchs (no lions though), a strange gastropod, tiny octopus in a kelp bulb, cabazon, horn sharks, fringeheads....and the list goes on.

After a quick work jaunt north in the morning I soon found myself at the main lot at Kellogg Park, gear at the ready for an afternoon dive. Tick tock, tick tock....no buddy.

Called my buddy but he had been delayed at the office. DANG!! Just getting ready to leave when Phil showed up. Not that Phil, the other one. I haven't seen Phil in a coons age but he recognized my big ugly red truck and strolled up and said hi. Seems he was pondering a dive as well and since I was buddy-less, we were soon strolling through the mostly non-existent surf. The incoming waves looked a bit green but we were determined to dive. Those who read my reports know that I have had a recent string of unfortunate evens with my camera but I really wanted to take pictures today, of lions, so for dive one I slipped a soft weight inside the housing and sealed it up. I was hoping by the end of the dive it would still be dry inside. I was. More on that later.

We kicked out to where the buoy at Vallecetos USED to be. It is gone, I guess the big surf was again to much for it. Guesstimating the edge of the canyon we dropped into the mostly soupy depths. We spotted the bottom at 70ft and slowed to just above it at 80ft and began our easy cruise upslope to the wall. Lots of life out today! Octopus, sheepcrabs, nudibranchs and more. No lions. :-( "Just as well" I thought to myself. I can't take pictures with two pounds of lead shot anyway. Along we moved, pointing out different things it each other and just enjoying the dive as we moved in toward shore, finally surfacing just south of the bathrooms. Nice dive.

Phil had only planned on a single dive but with some pleading, begging and promise of a sixer of frosty beverages he finally agreed to get a fill and come back for a second dive. After sharing his cookies with me for a snack and swapping out my gear, we again headed into the light surf. This time we entered in front of the MLGT and swam out to just passed the orange buoy. Finally buddy checks done, camera in hand, I slipped again beneath the sea.....

...and nearly landed on a large red gastropod of some kind. Camera in hand I snapped away while Phil watched patiently. I am sure he was regretting his decision to come along but he assured me afterwards that it was fine that I seem to take 50 pictures of the same thing.... From there we cruised west to the canyon edge and just down slope into the draw where all the detritus gathers. I had brief Phil on what a Lion looks like underwater so off we went to find one. We spent most of the dive there but found no lions. I found a lovely and large Diorona picta and Phil's sharp eyes found a magnificent Triopha maculata. Again and again my flash popped. Finally even I had to move along and explore more. So much life to see, so little time. Eventually our NDL drove us back up to the sand flats and finally to shore. We surfaced in 4 feet of water, dodged a few waves and walked out unscathed.

The nights are getting cooler so we quickly change clothes and shook hands like proper men, grinning the whole time like fools.

Good dives. Phil was a lifesaver today. Thanks.

Terry S.
*No lions were harmed in the writing of this report.

Date: Tuesday, 11/29/05
Dive #86
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove
Time: 5:52 AM PST (yeah that's early)
Bottom Time: 56 minutes
Max Depth: 49 feet
Vis: Beautiful 30 feet
Wave height: Lake Laguna - Ankle Slappers
Temp at depth: 61 degrees
Surface Temp: guessing 45 "chilly willy" degrees
Tide information: 05:59 AM 5.12 ft High
Gas mix: Plain ole' Air
Comments: Great vis, nil surge, beautiful conditions. Now go dive! The high surf was no where to be found. My early bird dive buddy, Kevin R and I finally accomplished the night -> sunrise transition dive. We entered in darkness, as the sun was barely coming up. Easy surf entry, as there were only ankle slappers. Enjoyed the most amazing transition of cobalt/turquiose blue water as the sun rise at 6:35 am. I can't explain how incredible the color is. Absolutely breath taking. That color transition was by far the highlight of the dive. Another highlight was watching the cast of characters waking up and coming out of their holes.... first the treefish (tons of big adults & juvies), then the kelp bass and sand bass woke up. Then the blacksmith came out (in between being woken up by our dive lights). The garabaldi soon followed along with a few painted greenlings. A rather large scorpion fish was motionless and kept a close watch on us. We even spotted two eels, one bug and a tiny spanish shawl. Surf exit was uneventful and the high tide landed us right on the upper portion of the beach. If you don't mind waking up super early, I highly recommend this type of "sunrise dive". Absolutely spectacular conditions!! Thanks for the great dive Kevin.

Lexy:
Date: Tuesday, 11/29/05
Dive #86
Dive Location: Shaw's Cove
Time: 5:52 AM PST (yeah that's early)
We entered in darkness, as the sun was barely coming up. Easy surf entry, as there were only ankle slappers. Enjoyed the most amazing transition of cobalt/turquiose blue water as the sun rise at 6:35 am. I can't explain how incredible the color is. Absolutely breath taking. That color transition was by far the highlight of the dive. Another highlight was watching the cast of characters waking up and coming out of their holes.... ...
... If you don't mind waking up super early, I highly recommend this type of "sunrise dive". Absolutely spectacular conditions!! Thanks for the great dive Kevin.
Great Report, Lexy!! You made my morning! I've always wondered what this transition would be like, and YOU went to find out... cool!!!
I've gotta make this happen in PV soon... and then come down and join you for one of these on a weekend in Laguna. Can I sign up? Or do I need to take a number??
Rock on! Great report.
Claudette

I've wondered about a sunrise dive as well. I also wondered about a pre-sunrise night dive, wondering if there would be a slightly different population of night critters about than a post-sunset dive.

Great report!
Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom