The NAUI Master Scuba Diver Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
I disagree, the PADI MSDT while it may have more dives does not touch on the knowledge or level of the NAUI Master Diver

Best,

Chris

NAUI 17055
PADI MSDT 157937

And there you have it from an instructor trained through both agencies. 'nuff said.

As you live in NYC let me give you a personal recomendation. If you want to dive the wrecks of wreck valley please consider Village Divers on 4th st between 1st and 2ed ave. They are an SSI/IANTD tech rec shop that really does specalize in NYC local diving. I took Cal's wreck class and went on to do an SSI master Diver sequence as well. You will need dry suit, wreck, nitrox, limited viz.

In addition to classes you will meet a great bunch of guys (and a few gals) who will go on the shop organized trips to the local wrecks as well.

If you see Cal please give him my best.

The url is something like: http://www.villagedivers.com

While a nice plug it's a bit off topic, no?

cerich:
I disagree, the PADI MSDT while it may have more dives does not touch on the knowledge or level of the NAUI Master Diver

Best,

Chris

NAUI 17055
PADI MSDT 157937

I can't comment on the text book, but via PADI you can definitly cover the same dive skills through the specialties with a good instructor. Simulated deco, deep, night, nav, etc., etc.

--Matt

matt_unique:
I can't comment on the text book, but via PADI you can definitly cover the same dive skills through the specialties with a good instructor. Simulated deco, deep, night, nav, etc., etc.

--Matt

It's not just the dives, the acedemics in the NAUI Master Diver course are light years ahead of what a PADI master diver student will learn.

I've taught both programs.

BTW, when I do a Instructor Cross Over course for a PADI instr to NAUI, I give them the NAUI Master Diver Exam to evaluate where they stand acedemically. I have NEVER had a PADI Instr pass(in fact I only ever had one crossover student pass with 75% (needed to pass) and he was SSI)

After we started running all our candidates for NAUI ITCs through a Prep course (really the Master Diver course in disguise) we never had a candidate fail the ITC.

Thalassamania:
After we started running all our candidates for NAUI ITCs through a Prep course (really the Master Diver course in disguise) we never had a candidate fail the ITC.

No, it's not the cross over they failed.

Before the prep or ICC starts I give them the master diver exam, they fail and get serious about hitting the books (see they are INSTRUCTORS and as such they can pass a Master Scuba Diver exam without any study....HAH!). Do prep class, then give Leadership Evaluation exam, about a quarter of cross overs fail that, then the ICC and instructor exam, about a quarter of PADI instructor still fail the Physics, Environment and Physiology sections of that....

cerich:
It's not just the dives, the acedemics in the NAUI Master Diver course are light years ahead of what a PADI master diver student will learn.

I've taught both programs.

BTW, when I do a Instructor Cross Over course for a PADI instr to NAUI, I give them the NAUI Master Diver Exam to evaluate where they stand acedemically. I have NEVER had a PADI Instr pass(in fact I only ever had one crossover student pass with 75% (needed to pass) and he was SSI)

Yeah I can't comment on the text book.

Even having taught both, you can't comment on what other PADI MSD instructors may cover beyond the basic text and requirements of the specialties. If you have never had a PADI instructor pass the NAUI MSD exam you can't have had many instructors or they were all of the 100 lifetime dive variety.

--Matt

matt_unique:
Yeah I can't comment on the text book.

Even having taught both, you can't comment on what other PADI MSD instructors may cover beyond the basic text and requirements of the specialties. If you have never had a PADI instructor pass the NAUI MSD exam you can't have had many instructors or they were all of the 100 lifetime dive variety.

--Matt

Tell ya what. I'll bet you a brand new in the box Oceanic PX3/Alpha 8 regulator that you would not pass the exam without opening some books.

Unless PADI has changed they discourage teaching beyond the book and standards because of the percieved liability of doing so.

Most of the cross overs I've taught were in the islands while the NAUI Carib Rep, on average a Carib instructor they will do 600-900 dives a year. Many of them have been IDC staff and Master Instructors that were crossing over to NAUI in order to meet a cust demand or because they liked how NAUI handles our instructors who wish to be Instructor Trainers and Course Directors (no stupid high cert mill numbers and 8 grand and sucking up for the course. Meet the pre requisets, attend course and pass or fail)

I had one PADI x-over candidate ace the Master diver exam. He was the DSO at West Point and was changing agencies to bring the West Point program over to NAUI after PADI denied him the ability to certify instructors. He later became NAUI North Atlantic Branch Manager.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom