The NAUI Master Scuba Diver Course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the OP stated "Any other advice or course/reading/practice recommendations?" This could fall under "other advice" and maybe even "course."

You're right, shameless commercial plug reinstated<G>.

cerich:
Tell ya what. I'll bet you a brand new in the box Oceanic PX3/Alpha 8 regulator that you would not pass the exam without opening some books.

Unless PADI has changed they discourage teaching beyond the book and standards because of the percieved liability of doing so.
There is also this aspect ... PADI tends to focus on the mechanics of diving, whereas NAUI tends to focus on the physics of diving. Same subjects, but different perspectives ... "how" vs "why" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cerich:
Tell ya what. I'll bet you a brand new in the box Oceanic PX3/Alpha 8 regulator that you would not pass the exam without opening some books.

I like to learn, it would be a fun exercise for my own benefit, send it along. I'm not going to bet on text questions and written content I have not seen. Would you like to bet as to whether the NAUI MSD's could pass the PADI Rescue Final exam (including the requisite EFR) without any prep? How about the final exams for all the specialties that require them?

You're focusing on the content of the textbook. It may be awesome, I have never seen it. 8 dives straight out of AOW would not come close to what a PADI MSD could learn in 8 courses and 50 min lifetime dives. No matter how good the textbook is.

cerich:
Unless PADI has changed they discourage teaching beyond the book and standards because of the percieved liability of doing so.

Most of the cross overs I've taught were in the islands while the NAUI Carib Rep, on average a Carib instructor they will do 600-900 dives a year. Many of them have been IDC staff and Master Instructors that were crossing over to NAUI in order to meet a cust demand or because they liked how NAUI handles our instructors who wish to be Instructor Trainers and Course Directors (no stupid high cert mill numbers and 8 grand and sucking up for the course. Meet the pre requisets, attend course and pass or fail)

Average of 1.6 - 2.5 dives per day, every single day, for a year? I have difficulty believing you here. The divers I know with 8000 dives have been diving 30 years. The instructors you are referring to get there in less than 10? Lastly, in the carribe they are teaching OW divers in 80 degree water, 100' vis, and single tanks. Not exactly the mecca for the most challenged divers or conditions. I would not consider the carribe as "the standard" for divers of any rating.

--Matt

How vs. why makes a HUGE difference.

If you know why, how can be deduced from first principles. If you know how ... well ... you know how.

matt_unique:
I like to learn, it would be a fun exercise for my own benefit, send it along. I'm not going to bet on text questions and written content I have not seen. Would you like to bet as to whether the NAUI MSD's could pass the PADI Rescue Final exam (including the requisite EFR) without any prep? How about the final exams for all the specialties that require them?

I would guess ~50% would pass.

You're focusing on the content of the textbook. It may be awesome, I have never seen it. 8 dives straight out of AOW would not come close to what a PADI MSD could learn in 8 courses and 50 min lifetime dives. No matter how good the textbook is.

It's not just the text, it's the classroom lectures and content. The NAUI instructor is required to evluate if the student is ready prior to the course.

Average of 1.6 - 2.5 dives per day, every single day, for a year? I have difficulty believing you here. The divers I know with 8000 dives have been diving 30 years. The instructors you are referring to get there in less than 10? Lastly, in the carribe they are teaching OW divers in 80 degree water, 100' vis, and single tanks. Not exactly the mecca for the most challenged divers or conditions. I would not consider the carribe as "the standard" for divers of any rating.

The average Dive Instructor in the Carib works 6 days a week, but lets go conservative and say they work 5. 2 morning dives and 2 afternoon dives, that 4 per day. Twice a week throw in a night dive. That is 22 dives per week, 2 weeks of vacation and you have 50 weeks in a year. That totals 1100 dives a year. My number was conservative. I also have good friends who did more than 1100 a year.My statements on the carib come from being an Instructor/Course Director there for 5 years and a further 3 years as an industry rep in the carib.

--Matt

How do you want to do the test? Time limit via fax?

He's in Mass, I'm not far ... we can meet and I can administer it.

Thalassamania:
He's in Mass, I'm not far ... we can meet and I can administer it.

That would be perfect!:D

cerich:
How do you want to do the test? Time limit via fax?

I have never seen the content, I'm not going to bet on text I have never seen. Post the test here for us all to review.

How shall we test the diving portion and how can we test a sample of NAUI MSD's for Rescue, EFR, and the final exams for 5 specialties? How about those divers making "600-900" warm water dives per year? You did not address these questions in your last reply.....I'm waiting.

You claim NAUI is better than PADI MSD and you support that by "the textbook...the textbook....and the lectures" without acknowleding basic common sense by way of actual dive experience. I'm waiting for you to say the NAUI instructed dives are better than the PADI instructed dives, thus allowing the NAUI diver with 14 dives to be a better diver than a PADI diver with 50....

I don't buy your argument about the NAUI MSD program. An AOW diver could complete the Advanced Trimix course and be a better academic diver. It will do little for them in the water where it matters unfortunately. I believe you are brand loyal though.

--Matt

Back
Top Bottom