The negatives of bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instead of asking all of the Internet divers out there why don't you borrow a rig and dive it a few times. I've strapped people in mine and taken them diving on several occasions. So far only one decided it wasn't for him.

I really have no negatives. I could see the pocket issue, but 99.9% of my diving is in a drysuit with pockets on each thigh. Adjustability is not a pain. You adjust the webbing from the lower section to expand the shoulder straps. It's simple.

Again. I'd suggest you find someone local with a setup you could try in a controlled environment and make your own judgement.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 08:11 PM ----------

Per Tobin's site and video adding a glide harness in each side is not advised.

I don't know of a single diver that uses one. My LDS will let me but I am not interested in what they have. So I am not going to use them like that. Plus, that's what this board is for right?
:)

My only complaint really is the lack of pockets.

Maybe I'm wearing mine wrong but I don't adjust anything when switching wetsuits.

I got the diverite ditchable weight pouches for weight "integration". Pretty sure once it's warm enough to stop wearing the wetsuit I won't be using weights anymore though. I also recently bought a diverite pocket that hangs off one of the lower d-rings and goes around the leg but I haven't dove with it yet.

Adjustment, especially with a single tank, isn't that big a deal. Between wetsuits, you could just snug up the crotch strap -- one adjustment and you're done. If you're going from 3 mil wet to dry, you might have to adjust the shoulder straps. With a single tank, you have a LOT of leeway in how long the straps are -- a snug crotch strap will make up for any excess length in the shoulders. With doubles, it gets a little pickier, because you HAVE to have the valves where you can reach them, and you can't slide the tanks up and down -- but by the time people get to doubles, they generally own more than one plate, anyway.

I have NEVER found a properly adjusted rig pushing me forward on the surface. Only when the crotch strap is too long, and allows the wing to ride up behind me.

If I can think of any negatives, it's that sometimes, when I'm getting out of my rig in the water, I wish I had a quick release to let one of the shoulders go. I hated integrated weights and love the weight on my back. I use X-shorts for pockets on the rare occasions when I dive wet, and with my pocketless Fusion Sport, and I have pockets on the other dry suit.

There aren't many negatives.

I think one of the biggest negatives to a BP/W is the pieces are purchased a la carte and this seams to intimidate new divers. People seam to gravitate to the already built solution.

simple answer 2 words TRANS PAC!!!!
tack a look at the dive rite harness set up its just like a standard BC set up easy to slip in and out simple ajustments
its not like the hogarthian single webbing system and very modular with pockets and weight pouches and great quality not that expensive simple to maintain.

This is concerning to me. I lake dive and might be in a 3mil shorty spearfishing one day and a 7m suit diving deep the next. I would need it to be easily adjustable. I was under the impression it would be. Thanks!

Look at the Transplate made by DiveRite. It's super adjustable. Has quick release straps. Has padded shoulder straps. It's the best of both worlds. I was given one three years ago. It has more than 600 dives on it, still looks like new.

I added a belows pocket by Dive Rite, they cost about 30 bucks. It lasted about 600 dives and the zipper broke last week. I bought a new pocket, same make/model. Love it.

Not real a real negative but something that required some thought was were to store things. I ended up with a thigh pocket which suits my needs fine. As far as a BC keeping you higher at surface I just inflate and lye on my back, it's never been an issue for me and there have been occasions where I've surfaced in rather choppy conditions. Good luck.

I dislike the way it does not support me high and dry on the surface.

This to me is the primary drawback of a BP/W, that does not have a work around. In lakes, quarries, springs and a calm ocean it does not matter as much. But if the ocean is kicking up you can be miserable.

I understand being brand loyal especially when you have had great experiences with a particular company, but if the company doesn't make what you are looking for, I wouldn't settle for what ever they have.

If you don't need a tech worthy system but want tech features and more streamlining, why not look at at Dive Rite TransPlate Harness? Its a hybrid system, its fully adjustable, it can accommodate a single tank or doubles and its easy to attach a stage bottle to. Not to mention the diverite pockets attach easily and are owner installed, so you can put it wherever is most functional.

If adjust-ability IS a big issue for you and you want a backplate with a single piece webbing i'd look at the Halcyon Cinch. Easy in, easy out, no chichenwinging, and no adjusting for 3 mil 5 mil or drysuits. It's a pretty brilliant design.

This to me is the primary drawback of a BP/W, that does not have a work around. In lakes, quarries, springs and a calm ocean it does not matter as much. But if the ocean is kicking up you can be miserable.

Why is it different from a back inflate BC?

Back
Top Bottom