The negatives of bp/w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I understand the good things associated with BP/W. But what will I be giving up? Comfort? Convenience? Anything?

That mostly depends on you.

A jacket BC is stable underwater in nearly any position even when there's a bunch of air in it. A BP/W with a bunch of air in it will try to keep you horizontal (think of hot air balloon with a basket hanging under it.) Horizontal is nice, except when you want to flip partway upside down and a little sideways to look at some small critter hiding under a rock.

On the other hand, if you're properly weighted, you won't have a lot of air in your wing, so the effect won't be terribly noticeable.

If you want a bunch of altitude on the surface with a jacket BC, you can put a lot of air in it and float with your head out of the water. If you do that in a BP/W, it will flip you forward on your face, unless you lean back and find where it's balanced. Again, not a "show stopper" just different, and easily worked-around.

This is all really just personal preference, and either style is a compromise between what you're looking for and what you're willing to put up with.

flots.

Adjustability has positives and negatives. I’ve found that adjustable systems tend to spontaneously misadjust so I prefer something that stays in place. I switch from an aluminum to steel backplate when going from warm to cold water. That is done mostly for weight and honestly I do not know if the harness is adjusted any differently at all. That said switching is not a big deal and the extra backplate and harness did not cost much.

I understand being brand loyal especially when you have had great experiences with a particular company, but if the company doesn't make what you are looking for, I wouldn't settle for what ever they have.

If you don't need a tech worthy system but want tech features and more streamlining, why not look at at Dive Rite TransPlate Harness? Its a hybrid system, its fully adjustable, it can accommodate a single tank or doubles and its easy to attach a stage bottle to. Not to mention the diverite pockets attach easily and are owner installed, so you can put it wherever is most functional.

If adjust-ability IS a big issue for you and you want a backplate with a single piece webbing i'd look at the Halcyon Cinch. Easy in, easy out, no chichenwinging, and no adjusting for 3 mil 5 mil or drysuits. It's a pretty brilliant design.

Thanks! Ill check into them.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 08:43 PM ----------

That mostly depends on you.

A jacket BC is stable underwater in nearly any position even when there's a bunch of air in it. A BP/W with a bunch of air in it will try to keep you horizontal (think of hot air balloon with a basket hanging under it.) Horizontal is nice, except when you want to flip partway upside down and a little sideways to look at some small critter hiding under a rock.

On the other hand, if you're properly weighted, you won't have a lot of air in your wing, so the effect won't be terribly noticeable.

If you want a bunch of altitude on the surface with a jacket BC, you can put a lot of air in it and float with your head out of the water. If you do that in a BP/W, it will flip you forward on your face, unless you lean back and find where it's balanced. Again, not a "show stopper" just different, and easily worked-around.

This is all really just personal preference, and either style is a compromise between what you're looking for and what you're willing to put up with.

flots.

The dimension is a back inflate so I am used to all of that.

If you have been diving a back inflate then the surface properties won't be that different. in fact the plate alone will bias some mass to your back side. Depending on your cylinder a little weight up on the far back of the cylinder can further help. However as others have said it just can't hike you up above the waves like a wrap around air cell.

It fundamentaly means a more spartan rig. If you decide to add pads, a weight system, some sort of pockets anf fuzzy dice it can soon be an overpriced home made back inflate BC.

If your present rig fits right I would not count on it helping you dive any better.

You usually need to gather and assemble though some like DSS will ship the system all gassed up and ready to dive. If you are into the process it can be a lot of fun including the creation of your own harness configuration. I have incorporated shoulder relases and adustment into my rig to seamlessly go from trunks to drysuit with heavy garments.

Pete

Last edited:
If you have been diving a back inflate then the surface properties won't be that different. in fact the plate alone will bias some mass to your back side. Depending on your cylinder a little weight up on the far back of the cylinder can further help. However as others have said it just can't hike you up above the waves like a wrap around air cell.

It fundamentaly means a more spartan rig. If you decide to add pads, a weight system, some sort of pockets anf fuzzy dice it can soon be an overpriced home made back inflate BC.

If your present rig fits right i would not count on it helping you dive any better.

You usally need to gather and assemble though some like DSS will ship the system all gassed up and ready to dive. If you are into the process it can be a lot of fun including the ceation of your own harness configuration. I have incorporated shoulder relases and adustment into my rig to seamless go from trunks to drysuit with heavy garments.

Pete

That's what I am finding. If I add pads, pockets, etc...then I don't think I am accomplishing what I want....simplicity and less bulk!

That's what I am finding. If I add pads, pockets, etc...then I don't think I am accomplishing what I want....simplicity and less bulk!

If you want simplicity and less bulk.. then a BP/W should work great for you. Do you plan on spending long periods of time bobbing around in a rough ocean on the surface? If not.. then the negative aspect of the BP/W will be inconsequential....Do you NEED pads? answer: not with a 7 mm suit and probably not with a 3 mm suit.. unless you are going to be hiking your rig in a long distance to the water...,, what are the negative aspects of a smoking hot girl friend... we can name a few.. doesn't mean you don't want one.....

If you want simplicity and less bulk.. then a BP/W should work great for you. Do you plan on spending long periods of time bobbing around in a rough ocean on the surface? If not.. then the negative aspect of the BP/W will be inconsequential....Do you NEED pads? answer: not with a 7 mm suit and probably not with a 3 mm suit.. unless you are going to be hiking your rig in a long distance to the water...,, what are the negative aspects of a smoking hot girl friend... we can name a few.. doesn't mean you don't want one.....[/QUOTE]

:rofl3:

Great analogy, I like it...

Why is it different from a back inflate BC?

I can't say because I don't own a back inflate BC. The two BCs I have owned were conventional jacket types.

---------- Post added April 24th, 2013 at 07:37 PM ----------

You usally need to gather and assemble though some like DSS will ship the system all gassed up and ready to dive. If you are into the process it can be a lot of fun including the ceation of your own harness configuration. I have incorporated shoulder relases and adustment into my rig to seamless go from trunks to drysuit with heavy garments.

Usually most dive shops sell a package and will string the harness on the plate for you.

what are the negative aspects of a smoking hot girl friend... we can name a few.. doesn't mean you don't want one.....

l.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom