The "other" end of the DIR question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear:
Another diver had one for our Rescue class. He had practiced with it, knew it's limitations, but was OK with that. He knew it was not the optimum way to go about air-sharing, but made the descision that for him, he was willing to put up with the inconvenience on the occasional need for it to get rid of the "extra" hose.

Mine was made by Beuchat, and I loved it. It looked like the AIR2, but was slightly different in that to orally inflate you blew into the exhaust hole, and as I understand it on the AIR2 you orally inflate through the mouthpiece. I ascended with it occasionally for practice, and never had any problems. I also had a slightly longer hose on my primary to make it easier to share. I only got rid of it (actually, my whole Beuchat set) b/c I couldn't get 'em serviced. I replaced 'em with a SP set w/o the Air 2 because that's what I got the best deal on. I may switch back when I have more disposable income. The wife and I just had our first kid, and just bought our first house. 'Fun coupons' are scarce...

Ok, now I know what DIR is. This is a pointless post because its a all about point of view.

But I'll put in my 2 cents. - Seems to me its is primarily a question of training rather than equipment.

ShakaZulu:
Is there an end to the DIR question???

I have a sense of humor, I can't be DIR............
Yeah, thats a great point, Ive NEVER seen any DIR folk with a sense of humor...

No wonder they get irritated with pathetic responses like that.

Aquamaniac:
I think the error lies here:

TRUE DIR proponents tend to be very focused and very driven, almost fanatical about their diving.
I guess when your on the outside looking in, and dont know the full picture, the focus and determination can be misconstrued as narrow. The part thats missing is what led up to that decision to be so focused. Only one with a wide mind, and an open understanding of the concept can adopt the principles of DIR, you must understand the reasons behind it, to adopt it. A narrow minded person would not even be willing to listen to a DIR Instructor, let alone become a student. Kinda ironic huh?

dave
Very well put.
Thanks Dave!
Robb

Aquamaniac:
Only one with a wide mind, and an open understanding of the concept can adopt the principles of DIR, you must understand the reasons behind it, to adopt it.
dave
Why does it take a wide open mind to be told how to do something. A wide open mind is required when one needs to think for themselves, not when told how to think.

To be able to use any peice of equipment in an emergency, you must practice with it. I use a Sherwood Octo+ on my BC power inflator. I use the Maximus under the arm as my primary. I dive in the absolute zero visability waters of the Ohio river on occasion (not because I want to) Due to the debree that is found on the bottom, I streamline as much as possible. I use the same set-up when I recreational dive with my wife and both kids (ages 13 and 16).

Point is a few months ago, while diving in a quarry in KY, another diver (not with my group) approached with the OOA signal. I instinctivly gave him my primary, and went to my backup. After confirming he was OK, we took off with him on my primary and me on my octo, and swam the complete lenght of the quarry (probably250 yards) with no problems. Until looking at this message board, I had know idea what the DIR's were. Regardless of what kind of diving you do, you must be familiar with your setup.

Just my 2cents worth.......Sonny

bubble blower:
Why does it take a wide open mind to be told how to do something. A wide open mind is required when one needs to think for themselves, not when told how to think.
Wow, it only took you two sentances to prove your own point! Good on you! :yelclap:

Aquamaniac:
Yeah, thats a great point, Ive NEVER seen any DIR folk with a sense of humor...

No wonder they get irritated with pathetic responses like that.

I guess you two have never met MHK... :hat:

Back
Top Bottom