The pros and cons of rebuilding your own regulators...

People who rebuild their own regs are...

• candidates for the Darwin award.

Votes: 18 11.8%
  • egotisitical and short sighted.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • dellusional about their own perceived skills.

Votes: 7 4.6%
  • ill equiped to handle all of the contingencies.

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • a little on the wild side.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • to be admired for their god-like knowledge.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • probably more conscientious about their equipment, and in tune to how it works.

Votes: 105 68.6%
  • Froody dudes who really know where their towels are...

Votes: 15 9.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Devjr,

I agree with some of what you are saying. BUT, you guys make it sound like the NEW diver can just jump right into it with NO problem. Half of them may be out there buying a dental set and a C-clip tool right now. I know, that you know what you are doing but do they? I disagree that you make it sound so easy. Just the slightest scratch inside a first stage will RUIN...and I mean RUIN the 1st stage housing. I am 1 of those guys responsible for 50 -75 regs a yr. I am a VERY paranoid tech. and dive store owner. I have heard all the horror stories about dive shops doing a bad job. And yes, I know it happens..(Wish I could change that), but should it sound so easy for new divers and amatuers to go to work on there reg? I hope not. If it is to save money..Well then the money saving person may have got into the wrong sport. I love to help out faithful customers but even with a good customer discount, SCUBA is expensive. Please let people know that maybe working on a Reg. is not for everyone but just a select few who will dedicate some time strictly to learing the rebuilding of a Reg.

Safe Diving to all

bengalsmgtsucks...

Do you service Apeks???

I just found out today that they are not offering cert for techs.

Upon calling Aqua Lung I was told, "uhhh, the schematics are online"

YIKES... What has Aqua Lung done... this is bad news I think

My LDS will no longer work on my APEKS - he says it must be sent in to Aqua Lung for any overhaul or repair...

any insight as an owner????

Sorry, but I can't work on that reg. I recently found out about them. It seems they are popular in here due to ease of service info. Good luck but you shouldn't have to much trouble finding someone to work on it.

How about that Apeks? Funny you should mention it. I was looking at their home web site(UK). There are some plain and simple schematics and flow diagrams. The Apeks people did some neat engineering which involves tricky looking drilling and milling to reduce the number of moving parts. One biggie, they incorporate the balance chamber in the brass body itself instead of machining separate parts as Scubapro does.

Speaking of SP, I bet that MK18 first stage is the most complicated pressure reduction valve in history. Probably not hard to work on though, and if you damage anything, it's replaceable. I think I would prefer to work on the Apeks, however.

About the Apeks, how do you remove the balance chamber O ring (which seals the poppet stem). I can't get a clue from the simplified drawings. Do you just pick it out, or do you blow it out?

Somebody said that it is easy to damage regulators by making a small scratch in the right (or wrong) place. Righto, mate. Been there, done that. I am the type that takes em apart to see what makes em work. Did my first at age 14, on my new Divair two hose regulator. Whoops, be careful out there. The problem does not arise when a new diver works on a reg, it comes when a new mechanic works on one.

I would suggest this. If you can stride up to a chalk board and draw a simple diagram representing a balanced regulator, explain how the system works and why, and have a fairly complete tool set which you use regularly, you are ready to go to the next step. That is, to order any diagrams and special tools or parts for overhaul of your reg. Get that beneficial one-on-one guidance, if possible. Unless you are gifted with those little tips I mentioned, there will be some sticking points, so get in there and learn.

Thanks, son of Darius. Apeks owners have got it made. Seems like it is easier to get this kind of info from Europeans than USA. In this case, it is a cojoining of the two? A wink and a nudge?

Once upon a time, I walked into Bauer HQ/Norfolk and walked out with a free shop manual for the Capitano. Not only that but they welded an aluminum bracket which I had carelessly busted, no charge. I guess weightlifters shouldn't be allowed to turn wrenches.

I got manuals for my Volvo boat engines just by calling and asking. Mailed FOC. Wonderful. They guided me through many problems over the years. Typical boat.

I finally voted on the poll. I almost went for the "wild side" but I'm past that phase, heh, heh...

I'm a mechanically inclined guy, and I regularly service my own computer, car, furnace, etc. I've rebuilt the front end on my Nissan truck by myself, secure in the knowledge that even though I'm an amateur, I was doing the job right, and with an attention to detail I knew I couldn't expect from the dealerships(who didn't install "optional" lube points, and never used the ones I put in myself).

I had the I'm stupid go, and for a big job like that, I went to them for an estimate... I mean, I had to have it towed SOMEWHERE, and a dealer was close by. They gave me the usual runaround, at the conclusion of which I was told that the entire transmisson would need to be replaced for an outrageous price. I towed it home, put it up on MY lift, and saved $2500. 80,000 miles later, she's going like a champ.

I believe firmly in my ability to learn to maintain anything that can be maintained, and to learn to do it right. For my truck, I have both Chilton's and the Official Nissan Service Manual, in addition to the tools I need to do the job right.

That said, I don't service my own regulators. Why? Because I haven't learned to do it right YET. When I take the time to become intimately familiar with the workings of my regs, and how to service them properly, and have the tools I need to do it right, I have every confidence that the work I do will greatly surpass the quality of service I could expect from any but the finest LDS.

Doing it yourself requires a bit of due diligence, but I don't believe that quality work is the exclusive domain of the professional.

If you are certified to do so, which I am, I think it is a great idea. You can really sit down and adjust your reg to your preferences. Also, it offers piece of mind. I know that the work has been done correctly because I did it. It is also cheaper.:)

I just wanted to add my 2 cents. The only time I ever had a reg fail was right after a prof. rebuild. Since then, (15 years) I have always serviced my own reg. with out a single failure. They are easier to work on than the people I repair for a living. Any one with a little mechanical apptitude can do it well.

A Reg is not all that complicated. If you have good tools and are familiar with manufacturing techniques then dissassembly/cleaning/service is not that tough. If you are not mechanically inclined, impatient, or generally parinoid then you too can rebuild your reg.

I have been reading this board for about a year and the overall impression I have is that many people here are either closet LDS owners or think the $8/hr help at LDS is godlike.

Back
Top Bottom