The Scuba Shop Keller, TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RShockley

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I live in West Fort Worth and have really gotten interested in learning to scuba dive recently. I have been looking around at local shops and for an instructor. After looking around and talking to a few I am leaning towards taking the Open Water + Nitrox courses at The Scuba Shop in Keller, TX. Just looking to see if anyone has any good or bad opinions of this shop or if they suggest specific instructors there. Probably going to do a try scuba with whatever shop I decide on just to make sure I like them and their teaching style. It will probably help to ensure this is something I will enjoy before spending more money on certifications even though I am pretty confident this is going to be a long-lasting hobby. Any other recommendations for instructors or shops are welcome as well.

I personally dive out of DFW Scuba in Haltom City, great group of people, divers AND staff. Oh, I would recommend renting your gear to determine if scuba is for you. Many people make the mistake of buying gear only to realize it's not for them and they spent a lot on gear.

Welcome to the boards and good luck on your journey.

This doesn't directly answer your questions re: training specifics at Scuba Shop in Keller. Have you actually visited the store? I ask because I don't think there is a scuba shop in Keller. If there is, I've not been able to find it. There IS a cigar store there though.

The closest shop to Keller would be Atlantis Scuba in Southlake, off of Davis. I've done some specialty training with them. I have referred friends from Grapevine to Atlantis for primary training when they had some less-than-great experiences with another area shop. PADI shop. USMC Hawker Harrier pilot.

The Scuba Shop in North Richland Hills, the shop to which you I think you are referring, is on TX-26, a couple miles north of IH-820 and a far piece away from Keller. Their website URL references Keller for some reason - old location? SSI shop. In-store beagle. Micro-brewery next door.

TP threw in for DFW Scuba Shop just east of downtown Fort Worth. Plan on doing my first "LDS sponsored" trip with them. Spent some time in the shop yesterday. PADI shop.

Closest to the west side of FtW - actually IS west FtW - would be Lone Star Scuba just south of 30 on Alta Mere. PADI Shop.

There's also Dino's Diving in Arlington on Pioneer Pkwy. I plan on doing Deco 50 with them, likely next year. Possibly doing dive master cert through them. They are a RAID shop now. And Dino is the head of RAID. By definition I get a more tec-ey vibe there. If I knew a few years ago what I know now, I'd seriously consider doing primary training through them too. I believe it would have made me a much more competent straight-out-of-the-box diver than the One-Wet-Weekend-in-a-Waterous-Wonderland cert course I did. In a mud puddle.

I have done business with all of these shops (to at least some extent, some thousands of bux more than others.) I've had good experiences with them all.

Various PADI, SDI, NAUI shops in Dallas and Plano area, but that would be like sending somebody from Connecticut up to Newd Hampster for training. Also know there's at least one shop in Mansfield or Midlothian, but I'm not familiar.

If you wish more observational observations, you can DM me. Always looking to network with local divers.

This doesn't directly answer your questions re: training specifics at Scuba Shop in Keller. Have you actually visited the store? I ask because I don't think there is a scuba shop in Keller. If there is, I've not been able to find it. There IS a cigar store there though.

The closest shop to Keller would be Atlantis Scuba in Southlake, off of Davis. I've done some specialty training with them. I have referred friends from Grapevine to Atlantis for primary training when they had some less-than-great experiences with another area shop. PADI shop. USMC Hawker Harrier pilot.

The Scuba Shop in North Richland Hills, the shop to which you I think you are referring, is on TX-26, a couple miles north of IH-820 and a far piece away from Keller. Their website URL references Keller for some reason - old location? SSI shop. In-store beagle. Micro-brewery next door.

TP threw in for DFW Scuba Shop just east of downtown Fort Worth. Plan on doing my first "LDS sponsored" trip with them. Spent some time in the shop yesterday. PADI shop.

Closest to the west side of FtW - actually IS west FtW - would be Lone Star Scuba just south of 30 on Alta Mere. PADI Shop.

There's also Dino's Diving in Arlington on Pioneer Pkwy. I plan on doing Deco 50 with them, likely next year. Possibly doing dive master cert through them. They are a RAID shop now. And Dino is the head of RAID. By definition I get a more tec-ey vibe there. If I knew a few years ago what I know now, I'd seriously consider doing primary training through them too. I believe it would have made me a much more competent straight-out-of-the-box diver than the One-Wet-Weekend-in-a-Waterous-Wonderland cert course I did. In a mud puddle.

I have done business with all of these shops (to at least some extent, some thousands of bux more than others.) I've had good experiences with them all.

Various PADI, SDI, NAUI shops in Dallas and Plano area, but that would be like sending somebody from Connecticut up to Newd Hampster for training. Also know there's at least one shop in Mansfield or Midlothian, but I'm not familiar.

If you wish more observational observations, you can DM me. Always looking to network with local divers.
Yes, I was referring to the one off 26. I forgot it was actually in NRH even though they have Keller in their website name. I was there a few days before posting. Dino’s was one I started looking at a few days ago. Really like a lot of things with RAID. Thanks for the info.

Congratulations on you first step into getting certified. Lots of cool diving to be done in Texas.

Bjorn Loftis is a great instructor you can link up with in that area.
About

When you get further along, check out the Flower Gardens and the Missile Silo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom