The swap between dry and wet suit.. how do you do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I simply run mine through the clamps on my BC tank straps and it stays there without a problem as I have to put it in before fully closing the clamps. My BC straps clamp shut without velcro but you can often just run it under velcro of you have a secure enough connection there. If I am not going to be using the hose for a while then I simply remove it and put the plug in place, simple enough. I was nervous the first time I did that but I found it was so simple I could not imagine what I was so worried about.

Anyone know a great way of dealing with this?

Yeah - I got a DUI 30/30 tropical drysuit. Now I have a place to put the drysuit hose even when I'm diving in 80F water!

GoodViz2.jpg

Stuff the extra hose in the back of your BC and put up with everyone asking what that extra hose is for.
:rofl3:

Thats what I do. I sometimes even get people to swim up to me underwater and check to see if my inflater hose is attached.

I have usually done what Lorien suggested - hold the extra hose in place either under the cam band (assuming there is room to place it in a gap where it is not compressed by the bands) or place it under the velcro tail of the cam band(s).

With regard to the "failure point" comment mentioned on the previous page, schrader valves ae dirt simple and to have one leak at all is rare, to have one leak catastropically is almost unheard of.

However, it is not uncommon at all to damage an o-ring by removing and replacing hoses and plugs. These o-rings are normally static and see little wear. Lubricant is needed to get them to seat however and if not properly lubricated they can be damaged in the installation and/or removal process. Plus when not attached the lubricated o-ring is suceptible to picking up dirst, salt crystals etc that further accellerate wear.

So in short, it is safer to leave the extra hose in place and accept the (very minimal) risk of a leaky schrader valve than to swap it back and forth and accept the greater risk of leaks caused by damaged o-rings.

If you just have to remove the hose every time you change configuration, do it properly with a properly cleaned and lubed o-ring in either the hose or the LP port plug.

I simply run mine through the clamps on my BC tank straps and it stays there without a problem as I have to put it in before fully closing the clamps. My BC straps clamp shut without velcro but you can often just run it under velcro of you have a secure enough connection there. If I am not going to be using the hose for a while then I simply remove it and put the plug in place, simple enough. I was nervous the first time I did that but I found it was so simple I could not imagine what I was so worried about.

Yup. Run it through the tank straps. If I know I'll be doing a significant amount of wetsuit diving I may take it off and plug the port, but that's pretty rare.

Like other's said, tuck it into a cam strap or use a rubber band to secure it. Or swap it for a plug. Any of the options will work well. Or you can use an argon set up and not deal with having an extra hose on your reg at all.

Shane

Back
Top Bottom