Thigh Pocket (Dive Rite)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

red, i know many folks who dive with reels on their butts. they don't seem to have problems, though i have sat on mine several times. however, that ended up bending the handle to a better angle for my teeny hands, so it ended up all good! :wink:

rainer, i second the x-shorts. put a big loop of bungie in each pocket in an upper grommet (or strung like a loose clothesline from grommet to grommet) to clip your stuff to. lynne (tsandm) used to use a pair of guy's board shorts with big velcro-topped pockets. if you did that, you could have lovely patterns instead of boring black like me & charles! (you don't want to be like charles, do you???) or if you dive a bp/w, the dive rite pockets that can go on a harness waist strap are great.

BabyDuck:
f you did that, you could have lovely patterns instead of boring black like me & charles! (you don't want to be like charles, do you???)
Seriously, all my scuba gear is black. :D

Yeah, I used to use those boy's shorts, but I bought x-shorts, and I love them. My wetsuit is mostly black, so they aren't that obtrusive, and as somebody pointed out, in the vast universe of less-than-elegant things about diving, x-shorts get lost in the shuffle. They're not nearly as dorky as my Chuck Taylors . . .

SparticleBrane:
Seriously, all my scuba gear is black. :D

Hmm...maybe I need to change that at our next dive. :D

I have the DR pocket that straps on and think it is a PITA! My harness, bp and wing are DR and I love them but that pocket sucks. I found it shifted around too much so I stopped using it. I thought about the xshorts but I think they are a little ugly so I've decided to just send out my 7mil and drysuit to have pockets attached.

UPDATE-
I ended up buying x-shorts (VERY cheap). Dove them on Sat for the first time. Quite useful, and with my (mostly) black wetsuit, they don't look nearly as bad as I thought they would. Thanks everyone.

charles, beware mel. she's plotting to add that sparkle that only color can provide to you! :wink:

and lynne, chucks aren't dorky. geeky or nerdy, maybe, but not dorky. i have this really wild pair with flags of the world...

SparticleBrane:
I don't know about you but when I'm diving, I'm horizontal...not sitting. :wink: When I get out of the water I take it off my butt D-ring so I don't crush it when I sit down.

Hmm, I needed to read this BEFORE class! Dangit. Of course I am going to be far less worried about my Delrin reel than the Dive Rite I broke...

I've got the DUI large bellows pocket with Dring glued on all 5 of my wetsuits. Love it. It's not hard to do either.

203653.jpg

Put on your wetsuit, mark the outline of the pocket on the suit. Take the suit off and stretch it over an ironing board to stretch the thigh out similar to your leg. Mask off the underside of the pocket and the same area on the suit. Apply the required 3 coats of black neoprene cement with the proper time intervals listed on the can or tube. Seconds before the allotted time is up, pull off the masking tape and apply the pocket to the thigh. Take a narrow rolling pin thingie from the hardware store and roll the pocket thoroughly. Weight down and let dry overnight.

Then get this pouch from Outdoor Research and keep all the little stuff in it. (soft plastic tables, compass, scissors, pencil, small wetnotes, etc) The smallest pouch fits perfectly in the full size DUI pocket. You can pull out the pouch unzip and not worry about everything coming out of your pocket when you pull something else out. Sorta like a litte scuba purse! :wink:

203913.jpg

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/style/home/storage/storage_stuffsacks/ZIP

I actually like my DR pocket , but its a PITA to clip on , but once its situated its just fine.

Diver Lori:
I've got the DUI large bellows pocket with Dring glued on all 5 of my wetsuits. Love it. It's not hard to do either.

Put on your wetsuit, mark the outline of the pocket on the suit. Take the suit off and stretch it over an ironing board to stretch the thigh out similar to your leg. Mask off the underside of the pocket and the same area on the suit. Apply the required 3 coats of black neoprene cement with the proper time intervals listed on the can or tube. Seconds before the allotted time is up, pull off the masking tape and apply the pocket to the thigh. Take a narrow rolling pin thingie from the hardware store and roll the pocket thoroughly. Weight down and let dry overnight.

Then get this pouch from Outdoor Research and keep all the little stuff in it. (soft plastic tables, compass, scissors, pencil, small wetnotes, etc) The smallest pouch fits perfectly in the full size DUI pocket. You can pull out the pouch unzip and not worry about everything coming out of your pocket when you pull something else out. Sorta like a litte scuba purse! :wink:
]

I put the same pocket on my drysuit, except I removed the DUI label cuz I've got a Bare suit:wink: The pocket does work great, I really like the large stainless ring inside the flap for all the bolt snaps.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom