Things to look for in a drysuit? Budget drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Fusion Tech Skin LE. I wouldn't buy that skin again. Instead I would look to the Bullit skin with pockets.

You can go at least a year before needing seals. Save the money and get yourself some SI Tech dry gloves and call it good. When a seal is starting to fail, send it in and have the neck and wrist systems installed.

Have you considered a suit from ebay too? There are some screaming deals.

I use Chuck Taylors with my Fusion. My CF200 has Turbo Soles that are awesome and have held up well to North Coast diving. Both systems have their benefits. If I went DUI I would go Turbo Soles again.

You don't need a crotch zipper (I guess they exit but I've never seen them). The less zippers to go bad the better. Just unzip your suit and take it down to the waist.

You still need to buy an undergarment unless it's included in whatever you are looking at.

I have a Bare Nex-Gen bi-lam. They are inexpensive as drysuits go and I like mine.

I prefer back zip, it is easier for me to get on and off. I can zip it myself if I have to, but that is what buddies are for.

Use the suit as is until the seals start to go bad, then upgrade. That will help spread out the cost also.

I would highly recommend Dive Right In Scuba. Mike (or Heather) will take great care of you.

Woot! Just purchased the Fusion Tech from Dive Right and can't wait for it to arrive on Wednesday. If need be, I can always upgrade to the Bullet skin later or if I need extra durability I'm ok with gluing extra padding to the knees and stuff. I'm really crossing my fingers that it'll fit well - I'm literally right on the border between XS and Small, but I figure insulation volume will help fill in a small, which is what I got.

When I get it I'm going to have to practice buoyancy and all that stuff. No classes for me.

As far as undergarments are concerned, should I just head to Walmart and get some fleece? I really don't want to pay $350 for something like the 4th Element stuff.

I'd rather spend less than $100 on a lot of fleece at Walmart than $200 for drysuit specific undergarments that have mixed reviews or $350 for top of the line drysuit specific undergarments.

As far as undergarments are concerned, should I just head to Walmart and get some fleece? I really don't want to pay $350 for something like the 4th Element stuff.

I'd rather spend less than $100 on a lot of fleece at Walmart than $200 for drysuit specific undergarments that have mixed reviews or $350 for top of the line drysuit specific undergarments.

Did you ask DRIS about the demo Whites undergarments? I think the Mk2 with jacket is $75 if they have your size.

Did you ask DRIS about the demo Whites undergarments? I think the Mk2 with jacket is $75 if they have your size.

Thanks. Got them! I got really confused because I thought the $75 was only for the jacket/vest. Now that I see that it's the whole system, I think it should be good. Worst comes to worst I just layer something else with it.

Woot! Just purchased the Fusion Tech from Dive Right and can't wait for it to arrive on Wednesday. If need be, I can always upgrade to the Bullet skin later or if I need extra durability I'm ok with gluing extra padding to the knees and stuff. I'm really crossing my fingers that it'll fit well - I'm literally right on the border between XS and Small, but I figure insulation volume will help fill in a small, which is what I got.

When I get it I'm going to have to practice buoyancy and all that stuff. No classes for me.

Advice given to me by smart people was to make sure I got something that will keep me warm when it's wet, because sooner or later you're going to flood, and hypothermia is nothing to mess with.

For our chilly water with sometimes 46 degree temps an MK3 is more suitable. Much of it depends on how cold each individual gets. I wear a base layer of fleece under a DUI 400g thinsulate and it is the least I could wear on long dives.

You should be able to change the seals yourself on site with the wrist rings, and neck tite system. You will need a condom catheter for the p-valve, and you can do crotch zipper if you choose, but you can just go and let it run down your leg(not reccomended out of consideration for others) I would call DRIS and see what they say about the seals. I wouldn't buy seals until you see that the ones you have are deteriorating. The seals do have a "shelf-life" to speak of.

As far as the other suits go, it is a matter of preference and fit, I think the Whites suit will fit a wider range of people better than the other suits.

The wrist rings are for gloves, not seals.

To the OP. My suit is used on average for 10 plus hours a month. get over 200 dves out of my seals so about every 2 years I need seals. Keep your suit out of sunlight when not in use and and dont get any chemicals on them and they wll last a good while.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom