This Equipment is STELLAR!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont disagree at all, it is my understanding from the patent that they did invent the the overbalanced first stage, but you are right.

Definitely correct, but Hollis is marketing themselves as something special, and I just dont see it...I notice that their one "cutting edge" product, the rebreather, was bought from another company.

Also, and more to the point of this thread, it looks as though nobody has actually taken this gear diving so calling is stellar is a little premature.

I agree with that. I don't see them as anything revolutionary, just another potential supplier of high end gear. I do agree with the comment about them being stellar, I would really like to hear reviews of once it's in the water. I do like the idea of a decent bottom timer that has user replaceable batteries.

Let Me Guess......only Apeks For You. I've Had Nothing But Good Luck With The Oceanic Gear That I've Owned After Diving In The Cold Waters Of The Puget Sound For 13 Years. I'm Also Not A Big Kool Aide Fan.
Hmmm ... better check out the dude's profile ... SDI, PADI, YMCA, DAN, TDI, IANTD ... not much for kool aide in those credentials, so perhaps we shouldn't go there.

I haven't owned much Oceanic gear ... but that's partly because the Oceanic Versa Pro computer that I did purchase had to get swapped out three times due to failures. To their credit, they were good about swapping it out ... but dive computer failures at depth aren't something to be taken lightly.

On the other hand, my Suunto Vytec's turned out just as bad.

From what I can see, it's a bit early to get excited about this stuff ... I'd like to see something I could put my hands on before I'd consider purchasing. And in any case, I've already gone through enough gear to know that some of what they're offering wouldn't be my preference ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok...Guys.

First of all, this is a manufacture subforum. They can advertise whatever they want.

Second, like Bob said, it's a bit early to CRITICIZE about this stuff

Third, Mike is only trying to give some more info including some pictures from DEMA as a dealer. What is wrong with him?

Fourth, if you don't like Oceanic brand, DON'T BUY IT. Nobody is begging you. They have a solid dealer network and customers all over the world. You don't need to spell out your opinion here before actually seeing and trying anything first.

Fifth, as a normal average Joe diver, I don't care who made and where design came from. A good quality, good customer service, and cheap price are all my concerns. That's it. Many automobile manufactures are copying each other, but the automobile industry is growing. If you believe it is a copycat product, go to the court before whining it. For the reference, "Bob Hollis has recently purchased rights to the Prism Rebreather."

Please DON'T lead this thread to another BS by mentioning your diving philosophy or unverified speculation. Most silent members want to see Mike's update, not your posts here.

Well after spending alot of time at the Hollis Both, I came to realize I never charged the battery, Im EXTREMELY sorry to those that are waiting...Please be patient, I will have awesome pics tomorrow for you!!

As to my Credentials....I dont have probably all of the credentials you are looking for. BUT I will have a TDI Instructor Trainer with me tomorrow, with over 1300 cave dives, 3000 training dives, etc....He is flying in today and he is who I was going to have answer more of your questions as I am just getting into the "Tech" arena....His name is Mike Ridgeway and was an IT out of St Louis that took some time off and is now getting back into it.....HOWEVER, I do know some things to look for and at when looking at equipment, whether its Tech or Rec, or a bit of both like Hollis is

I really want to apologize to everyone for forgetting to charge the batteries, but I will have very good pics tomorrow....

Some things I saw: Im going to leave some anticipation on some of these descriptions and let the pics talk tomorrow :D as I dont want to get into arguments which look like they could be lurking in the shadows.....Remember, like Hoosier said, Im just a dealer trying to relay for those that couldnt be here and these are my opinions and what I think of this stuff....Dont kill the messanger

As someone pointed out, your right I shouldnt call the equipment stellar without diving it, but I was assuming you would know that I meant from what I know and see about the equipment its Stellar......Lets not look further into some things and please keep this a fun informative thread

Can Light: Really bright, smaller than most, great grip goodman handle, Inside the can.....wait for pics

Reg: Really nice looking reg, obviously I couldnt breath it, first stage is very similar to the Apeks DST...PS....the elbow looking thing on the drawings, is a venturi switch and the swivel will be an option for those that dont like it, you can get it without it, for those that like it, its there

Scooter: I dont know much about scooters, but as you already know it has a built in light, blah blah blah....More info and pics tomorrow

BPs: Adjustable, no bends/stress marks at the creases like some others, corners are bent in so it doesnt dig into back

Wings: Look durable, hard to tell without diving or carving it like Oxycheq does, yes it has a dump ball on it, but that can be easily removed by untying it and taking it off, nothing ground breaking, its a wing....The doubles wings are adjustable like the BPs with a series of 3 grommets, .....plenty of lift options, the inflator in the pics is NOT the one on the wings, its alot nicer and you will like it...pics to prove it

Drysuit: Extremely flexible and stretchy, looks comfortable and warm...Nick is going to send me one after DEMA and I can let you know more later...

Again, I want to apologize for not having the pics, I feel really bad as I want you guys to see this stuff and I know I got you all excited......Pics tomorrow will make up for it...I have an Oceanic seminar till 6pm, but will have the pics done at lunch and will try and upload from my laptop during a break or lunch...so be on the look out

If there is anything specific you want me to take pics of, or closeups, or ask or anything, please let me know

If you asked me a question somewhere in these 5 pages and I didnt answer, I apologize please send me a PM so I can get to it....

Well after spending alot of time at the Hollis Both, I came to realize I never charged the battery, Im EXTREMELY sorry to those that are waiting...Please be patient, I will have awesome pics tomorrow for you!!

As to my Credentials....I dont have probably all of the credentials you are looking for. BUT I will have a TDI Instructor Trainer with me tomorrow, with over 1300 cave dives, 3000 training dives, etc....He is flying in today and he is who I was going to have answer more of your questions as I am just getting into the "Tech" arena....His name is Mike Ridgeway and was an IT out of St Louis that took some time off and is now getting back into it.....HOWEVER, I do know some things to look for and at when looking at equipment, whether its Tech or Rec, or a bit of both like Hollis is

I really want to apologize to everyone for forgetting to charge the batteries, but I will have very good pics tomorrow....

Some things I saw: Im going to leave some anticipation on some of these descriptions and let the pics talk tomorrow :D as I dont want to get into arguments which look like they could be lurking in the shadows.....Remember, like Hoosier said, Im just a dealer trying to relay for those that couldnt be here and these are my opinions and what I think of this stuff....Dont kill the messanger

As someone pointed out, your right I shouldnt call the equipment stellar without diving it, but I was assuming you would know that I meant from what I know and see about the equipment its Stellar......Lets not look further into some things and please keep this a fun informative thread

Can Light: Really bright, smaller than most, great grip goodman handle, Inside the can.....wait for pics

Reg: Really nice looking reg, obviously I couldnt breath it, first stage is very similar to the Apeks DST...PS....the elbow looking thing on the drawings, is a venturi switch and the swivel will be an option for those that dont like it, you can get it without it, for those that like it, its there

Scooter: I dont know much about scooters, but as you already know it has a built in light, blah blah blah....More info and pics tomorrow

BPs: Adjustable, no bends/stress marks at the creases like some others, corners are bent in so it doesnt dig into back

Wings: Look durable, hard to tell without diving or carving it like Oxycheq does, yes it has a dump ball on it, but that can be easily removed by untying it and taking it off, nothing ground breaking, its a wing....The doubles wings are adjustable like the BPs with a series of 3 grommets, .....plenty of lift options, the inflator in the pics is NOT the one on the wings, its alot nicer and you will like it...pics to prove it

Drysuit: Extremely flexible and stretchy, looks comfortable and warm...Nick is going to send me one after DEMA and I can let you know more later...

Again, I want to apologize for not having the pics, I feel really bad as I want you guys to see this stuff and I know I got you all excited......Pics tomorrow will make up for it...I have an Oceanic seminar till 6pm, but will have the pics done at lunch and will try and upload from my laptop during a break or lunch...so be on the look out

If there is anything specific you want me to take pics of, or closeups, or ask or anything, please let me know

If you asked me a question somewhere in these 5 pages and I didnt answer, I apologize please send me a PM so I can get to it....

Thanks for taking the time to update us. I look forward to you pics. :)

Thanks for your following up. NO worry! Even, DEMA doesn't start yet. You have the 2nd chance to make up... :wink:

Specially, I am interested in three items: Canister light, Scooter, & Depth Gauge

We know, you are a Sartek dealer so that we would like to hear a fair comparison between Sartek 10W and Hollis's new light. And, more info on spec. will be great, such as

a dimension,
bulb manufacture,
Focusable or not?
tight or wide beam?
Goodman handle option?
an external charging port?
mounting option (A canister looks like a Green Force design)?
warranty, and
price range.

As for a scooter, any detail info. such as a motor speed, 12v or 24v, warranty, options, and price range. I am sure there are many potential customers for this item.

For a depth gauge,
Any pictures on a "countdown timer" mode?
Size? Can be mounted on DSS boot?
Digit size?
Any average depth function?
Price?
What is a navigation mode?
Any battery issue like an old Aeris computer?

Have fun and thanks in advance,

Thanks Mike for the update, I'm looking forward to seeing the pics.

I happen to be a fan of Oceanic gear because it is good quality gear at affordable prices. I have three divers in the family with various Oceanic/Aeris items. It is very reliable and I personally have never had any problems. I'm looking forward to seeing some of the Hollis gear because maybe we'll finally have some tech oriented gear that is affordable. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the prices are.

BTW, why do people seem to have such a problem with the ball on the dump valve?:confused:

BTW, why do people seem to have such a problem with the ball on the dump valve?:confused:
Way offtopic for this thread. Short version: Makes it easier to get caught on something and "auto" dump on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom