This is it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver0001

New
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I went to the documentary on Michael Jackson with my daughter yesterday.

As a film it's not worth seeing. It's too long and unless you're interested in the man it's not that interesting.

But if you *are* a MJ fan then it gives you a unique look behind the scenes at a man whose world, who's presence, who's charisma, who's significance was in more way than one, literally larger than life.

It also gives you a look into the last phase of his life. Was he fragile, weakened by all the accusations of child abuse? Or was he a master performer? Was he an addict or an inspiration? Was he what we abhor or what we love about human nature? Was he our hope for the future or was he the end of an era?

None of these questions are answered. He is presented as he was. You, as viewer, are the interpreter of his life, simultaneously, fan, spectator and witness to his last days on this earth.

Go see it. Decide for yourself.

Here's a link to my favorite song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FZcAzZOyOg

R..

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the documentary on Michael Jackson with my daughter yesterday.

As a film it's not worth seeing.

Go see it. Decide for youself.

R..

Thanks, but I think I'll stick with your first statement and either stay home or go see Zombieland again. :D

My vote is for Zombieland again, other wise, I would get my post pulled.

fair enough.... but click on the link and listen carefully.

I know he's a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy but there's something about him that says more about us than we can say about him....

Have any of us made videos/music of this calibre?

R..

fair enough.... but click on the link and listen carefully.

I know he's a love-him-or-hate-him kind of guy but there's something about him that says more about us than we can say about him....

Have any of us made videos/music of this calibre?

R..

Eh, I'm not really love him or hate him, I'm mostly indifferent. He has definitely been an influence in music and entertainment and I've even been caught singing along with a few of his songs before. :wink: I just dont have that "greatest thing since sliced bread" devotion that some of his fans (and some of my friends) have had. That's the main reason you won't find me in line to buy a ticket.

No, I have never made a video or music, much less of that caliber. He had a talent I can't even dream of. I also don't know that I could have handled the fame and spotlight as well as he did and I may have turned out even more eccentric than he did under similar circumstances.

I agree though, his talents and eccentricities definitely have a polarizing effect on people.

(btw I fixed the link in your post, hope you dont mind)

Eh, I'm not really love him or hate him, I'm mostly indifferent. He has definitely been an influence in music and entertainment and I've even been caught singing along with a few of his songs before. :wink: I just dont have that "greatest thing since sliced bread" devotion that some of his fans (and some of my friends) have had. That's the main reason you won't find me in line to buy a ticket.

That's already a lot more nuanced than what we usually hear about him.

Personally I suspend judgement (as a good buddhist does) about the way he lived his life.

Objectively, he was a phenomenon, possibly the most influential famous individual in my life span. One among billions.

As for his eccentricities.... yeah, he was weird. There's no doubt about it. But I guarantee you that if I were in his position, I would have folded earlier and become a much bigger addict than he did..... The fact that he was able to take that much pressure for that long is, to me, a sign of strength. I don't have what it takes. You don't have what it takes.... nobody I know (and I know some pretty amazing people) has what it takes, to survive the weirdness he had to endure....

It's easy to stand in the margins.... no... not even that. To stand in the shadow of the shadow of the margins of the margins..... and level criticism at the man in the spot light....

R..

Diver0001.... personally I think there is a different perspective of him in Europe and in the US.

He's an amazing artist, but also weird.

but in the US all of that was over shadowed by his pedophile activities.

Diver0001.... personally I think there is a different perspective of him in Europe and in the US.

He's an amazing artist, but also weird.

but in the US all of that was over shadowed by his pedophile activities.

Yeah I know. You live in a country where everyone SAYS "innocent until proven guilty" and even AFTER someone is found to be not guilty you still continue to believe in the guilt.

God Bless America!

R..

...I'm not really love him or hate him,...

Either emotion is too powerful to spend on an entertainer.

Either emotion is too powerful to spend on an entertainer.

People and their emotions are more complex than your simplistic statement. Tell my grandparents that Johnny Carson or Elvis Presley are not worthy of your love or hate.

Back
Top Bottom