This is ridiculous! (Vent Warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An 18yr old "seriously pissed" at his father because the father doesn't want to do what the son wants him to?

I'll alert the media!

:eyebrow:

An old person being condescending to a young adult after they brought up a reasonable issue? I better alert the media too!!! :wink:

Togalive, freediving is a good way to get comfortable for scuba, so I don't agree with Reefhound in that it won't do anything. However, if your dad doesn't want to go there's nothing you can do about that. In diving there's a concept where no one should pressure another into diving, and no one should get mad at someone who calls a dive. The only real thing I can see is to find another buddy to go freediving with. I know you live in a small town, etc, etc, but other than going around and asking to find out if other people want to freedive, I don't see a lot of options. Though perhaps your dad would be more inclined to go in a warm pool?

My Father hasn't asked me one question about diving in fourty years.
Prior to that he provided finance for my first mask snorkle and flippers.
He also kindly provided the mop stick, nail and hacksaw for my first spear.
My mother taught me to swim by holding my head under in the bath tub?
It's about time I hit my Father up for a rebreather.

I just realised that my father didn't have to ask me any questions because we learnt everything there was to know together watching Cousteau Documentaries.

An old person being condescending to a young adult after they brought up a reasonable issue? I better alert the media too!!! :wink:

You'll be amazed how your definition of "reasonable" will change over the years...

You'll be amazed how your definition of "reasonable" will change over the years...

Sure. But that doesn't make different definitions that I have of reasonable less valid over time just because I was younger.

And lots of people of all ages have problems like the OP with less willing buddies...

Interesting issue. From a safety standpoint, one of the most important things in diving is to be comfortable in the water, with gear. Even snorkeling helps.

Personally, I thing any water practice is good, but I know a lot of people that don't.

Only thing I would worry about is why your dad is actually taking the class...because if it is just to do the father son thing, then would suggest against it. On the other hand he does not want to practice because he does not like to practice anything, then it is what it is.

However, would not be upset with him.

Oh my, why did God waste youth on the young????
OP, with age comes wisdom and thought processes that you haven't learned yet.
I'm sure your father has his reason's and feels that he doesn't need to explain them to you.
Trying to push him will not have the results you want.
Respect his decision and all will be well in the end.
My son, who is 28, and I dive together whenever and wherever we can, including mud puddles.
When I call him and ask if he wants to go out and get wet and he has a lame excuse, like his g/f is on the way home or something I consider unreasonable. I just tell, "Maybe next time"

Drop the DRAMA QUEEN act and go with the flow.

...maybe he just doesn't like to free-dive ? Honestly, I love scuba but HATE free-diving, you couldn't PAY me to free-dive....absolutely ZERO interest in that...but I took to scuba like a fish to water, so if it were me, I wouldn't go with you to the lake to free-dive either. The whole free-diving thing has essentially zero relevance to scuba...I'll bet 'dad' can figure out how to operate a pair of fins fairly quickly, and how to put on a mask too...and there's probably a PADI 'fin operator' speciality too if you really need remedial help. I'm seeing this as more a case that you just want to free-dive yourself, and 'scuba practice' is just an excuse to go free-dive. IF you're serious about wanting to prep for Bonaire, after you two graduate and get certified, you should stay behind (after class) rent a few more tanks and spend the rest of the day actually scuba diving and get those valuable hours of real scuba experience you claim to value so highly...cut to the chase and don't screw around with distractions, just SCUBA DIVE, for goodness sake! If you guys can't manage to find time to do that, while you're still at the lake, then you're not really all that serious about getting scuba experience.

Go and enjoy the time with your Dad. If you let yourself get all worked up over it, it will just detract from the good time you and your Dad are going to have. You have no idea how lucky you are even to be asking the question.

I realize patience in the teen years is very rare, find your's and exercise it. The diving will be much better if you are calm, cool and happy to be with your Dad.

My dad passed away almost 13 years ago, and there are MANY times I realize I should have done things differently with him, and look back at home I acted and get pretty ashamed of myself.

OP, If you are spending time with your father, cherish that time. Trust me, if you dont, one day you'll be sorry.

So, you guys tell me if I have a right to be seriously pissed...

You do not. You are both adults (mostly) and get to choose (mostly) what you want to do.

If I were to guess, you are the hyper-organized one with a long term calendar. You don't like leaving unresolved issues and you like to be prepared. Still a guess, your Dad is a bit more of a go with flow type and while he always gets things done, some might label him a bit of a procrastinator. If I am correct, that would explain why 100% of the work on certification and the trip has been done by you so far.

That said, if he is paying more than half the cost, he could also reasonably view your scheduling/reserach efforts as a partial contribution to the trip.

Back
Top Bottom