This is the travel-report of Ron van Wijngaarden, diving and wheelchair Antille it ok

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Amsterdam Manor

This is the travel-report of Ron van Wijngaarden, who
spends his holidays (in Aruba) in a wheel chair.

Before leaving Holland
After making bookings through a travel agent I made additional arrangements in Aruba by email:

e.g. I rented a suitable car (big and with an automatic gear)at Econo Car Rental; I arranged several diving sessions without any restrictions by ‘Aruba Fly and Dive’; boat and other trips and so on …

I flew to Aruba with my family of five. Without external help and full of fear and questions like: “will my wheelchair give me lots of problems, will everything go as planned, will I be limited in all my wishes, and, and and……..

Arriving at Aruba
We arrived on Aruba airport after a nice smooth flight. Here all was perfectly arranged from the airplane seat all the way through the exitdoor to the seat in the cab. All Aruban airport personnel helped the kids, and us wherever they could.

Staying in Aruba
We stayed at the Amsterdam Manor Beach Appartementen Hotel at Eagle Beach. Where we met the most friendly people who did every thing within their power to make our stay unforgettable.We enjoyed our stay there so very much that we have made reservations to return at the end of this year. Just to be sure that we get the apartment we want. And with Aruba Fly and Drive (by John Oster) I’ve made the arrangements for the driving and diving because they helped me so well.
An Aruban is a very sensitive person. When I want to cross a street in Holland I must have eyes on all sides. But on Aruba, when you stop at a corner to look where to go now, cars stop even if you are not planning to cross the road.

My hobby is scuba diving (which is not the easiest hobby for an invalid, there are many problems to overcome) after a dive I rolled my wheelchair to the car, carrying my scuba case on my lap. A car passed and stopped, the driver walked to my and asked me for the keys of the car so he could open the doors and trunk for the chair and diving gear. He put them in the back of the car, wished me a nice day and left again without waiting for a ‘thank you’. Leaving me astonished in the driver seat. Aruba is a place where people still have time for one another.

Conclusion

Aruba is THE holiday island for able-bodied as well as for the disabled sun-lovers most of the hotels are well-prepared for disabled guests. They will give you the feeling that you alive and important, due to the kindness of the Aruban people. We loved it in Aruba from day one until the last second.

So, until we meet again in beautiful Aruba at the end of this year.

This I wrote 3 years ago i was then a Open water now we go this year again but we go like last year to Bonaire.
And the diffference is hat on aruba I was a diver open water with 10 dives log and now I go as a Rescu-diver with 125 log cool water dives her in Holland Europe.

I have als o a trip report over Bonaire from last year but it is in Dutch and for me to mutch and to diffeculd to translet in english.

But I wante to let peapel no that wen you want somting very bat you can get there wen you want it enuf.

Go and see my Scuba-Dive Photo Album It is on line now !!

The Url is: http://community8.webshots.com/user/ronnneke?rand=81

Let me now what you think ; - )

My e-mail Is: Scubadiver-Ronneke@zonnet.nl

Swimming with the fishes.

((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>
`·..><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.

=-) =-)

Hallo Scuba Ronneke, leuk dat jullie ook op deze board reageren.Ik heb em een paar weken geleden ondekt.Myn naam is Dicky en ben een Adv. OW duiker samen met myn broer Inyo hebben onze certificaten in Indonesie gehaald myn broer is doof maar dat is absoluut geen probleem om te duiken altemeer het bewys dat de duiksport voor iedereen toegankelyk is en dat er een open-minded sfeer is onder de duikgemeenschap.Wat ik me afvraag is hoe het is om hier in Nederland myn duikopleiding voort te zetten,ik bereid me al voor op de Stress en Rescue cursus,in ieder geval Best Fishes,

At least your English is better than my Dutch, but I'd guess you don't suffer complainers very well! :wink:

Also a big thanks for sharing your pix - well organized and shot. When you wanted something bad enough, you did it. My hat's off to you!
Terry

I dive with several handicapped divers and we've found everyone treates them with the utmost courtesy and respect.

Thanks for your report. I see you found my fishies :D

Great Pic. Enjoyed your post. I work as a volunteer with the Special Olympics. In my area we haven't done anything with scuba divers yet, But I'd love to see it added. Any thoughts on this?
:sunny:

Back
Top Bottom