Three finger glove and air pressure?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or you could take off your fins and count on your toes!! :D

Up here in the frozen north we learn with three finger mitts on in OW, I have supplied some photos to show the different numbers. In order it should go 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. I use the back of the hand to do 6-10. Or use both hands, whatever works best for you.

-- nielsent

That is also what I use when not diving dry gloves.

For the OP...you bring an excellent question. I was dove with a very experienced DM up here wearing pinguin mitts. This had not been prebriefed as I assumed it was common knowledge. When inquired as to my gas psi I proceeded by giving him the signs. I was greeted by a puzzled glaze through a mask look followed by OK sign to which I replied OK. He did not have a clue at the time. Therefore ensure all those diving with you will be well familiar your signs if not they might think you are suffering of narcosis and are playing charade...two words, first one starts with a B????

If it is cold enough for three finger mitts, the slate and pencil idea may not be the best idea. Three finger mitts also generally also implies a wet suit and in three finger mitt tempurature water , a wet suit will leave you get cold enough that the mitts are not enough.

In contrast, in a dry suit even on an ice dive, if you have adequate undergarments, good 5mm gloves with intact seams are enough to keep your hands warm - and often better than many dry gloves where the liners are often too thin.

In any event, in three finger mitts it's just a lot quicker to show him the SPG.

To add to this, if you fill your glove with warm water, as warm as you can stand, immediately before putting them on you can buy yourself another 30 to 45 minutes of dexterity. I did over 2 hours in 35F water a week ago on a salvage of a sailboat with no problems with 5mm gloves in good shape. - My toes were another matter.

I used dry gloves once many years ago and then never used them again, the problems with them vs. the benefits were just not worth it.

The warm water trick is as old as diving is going back into the early 1800's and still works well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom