Timex helix dive watch. How deep have you taken it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoosier:
Anyway, based on my experience, it also displayed "error or low" message even in the shallow water when the water temp is low....

Hmm... I've dove mine in 45 degree F water without any issues.

-Ben M.

I also dove mine at the Isle of Shoals it was 42 degrees and off New Jersey on the Toltan it was 45 degrees. No error either place.

I have used mine on several dives and I can say my buddy has ditched his citizen on more than one occasion for the timex because it is easier to read.

As far as cost go I have had dozens of watches from 30.00 to 400.00 and I would take the pepsi challenge with my timex any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Cost usually means it looks nicer and has more features:)

reidman:
And last if it goes blank or locks up there is a small reset button inside the back cover it is recessed.

I'll have to try that with the one I have side lined.

Thanks,
Pete

At this moment, all my Timex DMs are out of order. I won't get it again...

reidman:
I don't think anyone would use a dive watch as a primary dive unit. But just because its $30 doesn't make it cheap. I just came from Aruba where my Timex worked fine for 10 dives and my friends Suunto his wife just bought him died on the second dive.

I still do dives with a watch and depth gauge. Most of the time I use a computer or two but my gear that stays on the boat is basic depth/pressure.

Randy

I will never buy a Timex again , i killed 2 of there watches in two days . First was an Ironman rated to 100 meters and died at 154FSW , next was a reefgear rated to 50 meters and died at 61FSW. I contacted Timex all they did was tell me to buy a 200 meter watch for diving.

terrasmak:
I contacted Timex all they did was tell me to buy a 200 meter watch for diving.

And, did you get any warranty service from them?

Don't know about timex but with the g-shocks it says right in the manual that only watches rated to 200 meters should be used for scuba diving. I use a pulsar diver 4000 solar that is rated to 200. but it was a little more than 30 bucks.

So you took a standard timex and reef gear watch for diving? I have never tried a standard $30 watch but the Helix is an actual dive watch and I have taken it to 110 ft once and regularly down to the 30-60 ft depths.

I imagine you can only debate the quality of a $30 watch so much and I personally feel the best option is a presure guage but I feel confident with a dive computer and my timex.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom