Tioman island recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all,

I am heading to Tioman for a week of diving & enjoying the beach. I am an experienced diver and my mate wants to do his OW. I just bought an underwater camera that I want to learn to use. Basically looking for a town with a backpackers vibe, cheap accomodation and a lot of dive operations.

Looking for a dive operation that dives in small groups. Since I want to learn to master my camera I would like to make some solo dives once the DM/owner is convinced that it's safe. I don't want to be that annoying guy with the camera that holds the group up because he needs to take 25 pictures of a nude branch.

Will be there from 24-6 to 03-07

- Any specific stores to consider?
- Any specific dive sites?
- How much is a OW course/ single dive
- Any other recommendations for Tioman?
- I assume getting transport to SGP is very easy? (busy in the weekend pbb?)

thx all!

My family and I did our OW certification on Tioman last August. We stayed near the main town of Tekek at the Samudra Swiss Cottages and dived with Tioman Dive Centre, which is right in front of the cottages. Everything sounds perfect for you, a nice laid back, backpackers beach vibe, a lot of good food down the beach (We ate at the beach bar at the end of the beach every night), and even a nice house reef.

There are only two dive ops on the beach, Tioman Dive Centre, which attracted a mostly European crowd, and another operation right next to it that catered to a mostly Asian crowd (don't remember the name). Groups are nice and small, and everything feels very personal. I can't really recommend many good dive sites as we only did four dives, but I remember Salang was nice.

We really felt like we were in Robinson Crusoe, and felt very confident in the water after our certification class. I highly recommend staying at Samudra Swiss Cottages and diving with Tioman Dive Centre.

that sounds good indeed; going to search for some more info online.

Thanks a lot! looks like you had a nice holiday :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom