Tipping after cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to admit that during my first dives I did not tip, mainly because I didn't know if it was expected. My gf I'd getting certified OW this week in Playa and I have no idea if I should base the tip on the cost of the cert or the tanks per day. Any insight will be much appreciated.

I'm always confused by these types of "tipping" posts. Why would one think he/she *needed* to tip? After all, he paid for the course, correct? I could easily see someone tipping if some extraordinary service were provided—for example, if an instructor made a special effort to make sure the student completed his training before the student left for that once-in-a-lifetime scuba vacation. However, in general, I can see no reason to tip. If I were a scuba instructor, I think I would be embarrassed by a tip (or an offer of a tip). I think I would accept a beer, or maybe an inexpensive lunch, but not a tip I don't think.

I used to teach university. I cannot imagine someone offering to tip me for whatever probability and statistics, math, or comp sic course I taught.

EDIT: Moreover, I'm almost certain that university administrators would have had something to say if I had accepted any tip offered.

What am I missing?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I'm always confused by these types of "tipping" posts. Why would one think he/she *needed* to tip? After all, he paid for the course, correct? I could easily see someone tipping if some extraordinary service were provided—for example, if an instructor made a special effort to make sure the student completed his training before the student left for that once-in-a-lifetime scuba vacation. However, in general, I can see no reason to tip. If I were a scuba instructor, I think I would be embarrassed by a tip (or an offer of a tip). I think I would accept a beer, or maybe an inexpensive lunch, but not a tip I don't think.

I used to teach university. I cannot imagine someone offering to tip me for whatever probability and statistics, math, or comp sic course I taught.

EDIT: Moreover, I'm almost certain that university administrators would have had something to say if I had accepted any tip offered.

What am I missing?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver
I agree about not tipping the instructor for a paid class. But I'll also take into account what scubatoys said about the DMs.

So I guess the appropriate thing to do in Playa would be to tip the DMs if any are present and the boat captain/crew. Right?

I agree about not tipping the instructor for a paid class. But I'll also take into account what scubatoys said about the DMs.

So I guess the appropriate thing to do in Playa would be to tip the DMs if any are present and the boat captain/crew. Right?

In Caribbean the Captain is often the only person on the boat getting paid.

---------- Post added March 31st, 2015 at 07:23 AM ----------

What am I missing?

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

I love the whole "no one tips me to be a ______" rationale from people in the US. It's a red herring. Would you like to swap pay grades with a Caribbean DM or a diner waitress? Are you honestly going to draw a comparison between the compensation models?

In the US and other places - whether you like it or not - the reality is that there are certain jobs that are customarily tipped. University professors are not one of them.

The concept may be distasteful to you, but I would hope it's not actually "confusing"

Note: I'm not talking about tipping an instructor, which as I mentioned above is uncommon in my (limited) experience.

In the US and other places - whether you like it or not - the reality is that there are certain jobs that are customarily tipped. University professors are not one of them.

That's too bad. I'm sure if I calculated my actual hourly rate, it would be comparable to a waitress. No one goes into academia for the money.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Reactions: RJP
Tips are an odd thing. As a Software Architect - my primary job - I don't get tips - but I do get bonuses. I was a little perplexed by the idea of tipping an instructor at first.

The vast majority of my scuba classes don't tip. And that is fine. But I do appreciate it when they do. I've had a several $20 and $50 dollar tips. A few in the $90 - $100 dollar range. And once, when I took a doctor and his wife from AOW through Master Scuba Diver - I got a $500 tip.

Training, Skills Evaluation, and (if mastery is achieved) Certification is what students pay for. My instructor pay for an open water student from the shop is $75.00 / student. This requires 2.5 days for confined water and another 2.5 days for open water. You can do the math on the hourly rate. If I do big classes, and only do the classroom and confined water - it can be a decent payday. Not more than your typical fast food job would pay for a weekend - but I'm diving and enjoying teaching my hobby.

So what would I have done to earn a tip from this situation? Well - Midwestern open water classes in the winter: the quarry water is 41 F. and the air temp is 20 F. Making a crock pot of hot stew to keep my students fueled and warm at the quarry. Ditto - providing the hot beverages they didn't bring at my recommendation. Your medicated ADD kids forgot to do their knowledge reviews? No problem - I'll remind your kids 7 times and take extra time to make sure they get it done prior to certification. You didn't clean your new mask after we repeatedly told you? No worries - here is some toothpaste... I could go on and on with the services we provide above and beyond training and skills evaluation.

I - and other instructors at my shop - bend over backwards to make SCUBA a fun and safe activity and provide excellent customer service - in spite of challenging conditions and sometimes challenging customers. This is way above training and certification.

I don't expect a tip - but I have no guilt at all about receiving a tip. If your service provider has gone above and beyond to provide you service - feel free to reward his excellence!

Hmmm....

Interesting topic here. I'll tell you that I've never tipped an instructor with money. I have bought nice bottles of scotch, rum and whiskey. But then I became an instructor.

As an OW instructor, I don't believe I ever received a tip at all, with the exception of a nice meal at the conclusion of class. Then I became a technical instructor. As a technical instructor I've received tips from $50-$400. I was once tipped with an annual pass to Ginnie Springs (a $350 value). I was once tipped with a new drysuit. It was a Bare XSF2 (about $2400 retail). A buddy of mine was once tipped an all expenses paid trip to, I think it was, Truk Lagoon. I imagine that cost a few thousand dollars.

Keep in mind, I don't teach to make money. I give away far more classes than what I charge for, and even when I charge, it's often a pay cut from my real job. So, while tips are not necessary, they are appreciated. Hopefully, for most instructors, a tip is immediate feedback that we did a good job.

Another topic that goes around and around - and indeed it does vary from location to location - tipping is very common in America, not so much in Europe. When I was working in the Caribbean I got tipped a lot, when I was in Egypt, very rarely, although I did get bought a lot of beer! I know people who worked in the Caribbean who relied on tips because their salaries didn't cover living expenses by themselves - course prices are often quite high, instructor wages are not, DMs are often unpaid.

At the end of the day there is no set rule, however a small token of appreciation is always welcome - and they don't have to be financial; buying a beer or paying for lunch goes down just as well but it's not something I ever expected but these things do make us very happy (if you earn 40 dollars a day then a 20 dollar tip is big money!), and if you feel your instructor was worth it then why not.

All dive pros work for tips, DM's and instructors. Proper tipping varies. If you have a private instructor and he brought the air and lead, and perhaps a snack, I'd tip $10 per dive. In a class setting, less attention and service, half that is ok. You can add for extraordinary service- like retrieving dropped weight or mask, or camera. The majority of divers on boats or in class tip nothing, so tipping something puts you above the curve. 5 to 10 dollars per taqk, depending on service, is fine.
DivemasterDennis

Does the expectation of a tip by an instructor for teaching a student not raise the potential for a conflict of interest? I know you instructors here on SB are paragons of professionalism and all, and you'd never consciously let the prospect of a tip influence what you do, but it does make one wonder what might happen subconsciously.

I can't imagine my college professors, even in a class where I worked one-on-one with the professor, accepting a tip. Even the appearance of the potential for a conflict of interest seems like a good reason for those in the teaching professions to refuse tips.

I think it's entirely appropriate to tip any DM, skipper or crew on a boat on which the diver is doing his checkout dive with an instructor, just as one would if one were not diving as the instructor's student. But I just don't think it's a good idea for instructors to think they might receive tips from their students.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom