Tipping after cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does the expectation of a tip by an instructor for teaching a student not raise the potential for a conflict of interest? I know you instructors here on SB are paragons of professionalism and all, and you'd never consciously let the prospect of a tip influence what you do, but it does make one wonder what might happen subconsciously.

I can't imagine my college professors, even in a class where I worked one-on-one with the professor, accepting a tip. Even the appearance of the potential for a conflict of interest seems like a good reason for those in the teaching professions to refuse tips.

I think it's entirely appropriate to tip any DM, skipper or crew on a boat on which the diver is doing his checkout dive with an instructor, just as one would if one were not diving as the instructor's student. But I just don't think it's a good idea for instructors to think they might receive tips from their students.

I think it's already been stated that most instructors don't expect a tip - but appreciate one when offered - be it beer, a dinner, or pocket change. It says to the instructor, "Hey - you did a great job and I appreciate your hard work!"

And frankly - my gross revenue - before expenses - from SCUBA make up less than 5 percent of my income. Tips make up less than 10 percent of my scuba revenue.

You don't need to worry about me corrupting my values, giving away certs, or being unethical for less than 0.5 percent of my annual income.

I think it's already been stated that most instructors don't expect a tip - but appreciate one when offered - be it beer, a dinner, or pocket change. It says to the instructor, "Hey - you did a great job and I appreciate your hard work!"

That's a fine line to tread. If someone receives a tip from a student, they are more likely to believe they might receive one in the future from another student. It may not cause them to "expect" a tip, but each time someone receives a tip, it might make it seem just that much more likely that next time they will receive another tip. I think it's hard to draw a line between what someone expects and what they believe might happen. If someone is receiving a steady stream of tips, there might be a reasonable expectation of receiving another one, whether you are comfortable using that word or not.

I think the beer or dinner is a much more appropriate token of gratitude than money. And if this ends the debate, I'm all for it.

And frankly - my gross revenue - before expenses - from SCUBA make up less than 5 percent of my income. Tips make up less than 10 percent of my scuba revenue.

You don't need to worry about me corrupting my values, giving away certs, or being unethical for less than 0.5 percent of my annual income.

I don't think the amount is relevant. Some student might tip a lot more. If the instructor thinks it's a roll of the dice how much he will receive in tips, the amount you actually have received to this point is irrelevant. I'm thinking about this across the industry as a whole, not picking on you. I think the development of a tipping culture that rewards instructors the way the divemasters are rewarded would do a disservice to all instructors. You may be able to resist inclinations to do things that your subconscious says might result in a benefit to you, but maybe not every instructor is made of granite like you.

So, I still think it's bad for instructors to make a habit of gladly accepting tips from their students. A six pack of beer, maybe a dinner, as a small token of gratitude is all that I believe is appropriate. And if there is an evaluation sheet at the end for the student to fill out, some words of praise are probably more important than any physical gift.

Another topic that goes around and around - and indeed it does vary from location to location - tipping is very common in America, not so much in Europe. When I was working in the Caribbean I got tipped a lot, when I was in Egypt, very rarely, although I did get bought a lot of beer! I know people who worked in the Caribbean who relied on tips because their salaries didn't cover living expenses by themselves - course prices are often quite high, instructor wages are not, DMs are often unpaid.

At the end of the day there is no set rule, however a small token of appreciation is always welcome - and they don't have to be financial; buying a beer or paying for lunch goes down just as well but it's not something I ever expected but these things do make us very happy (if you earn 40 dollars a day then a 20 dollar tip is big money!), and if you feel your instructor was worth it then why not.

Thanks Crowley - you seem to have nailed it: Any token of appreciation is always welcome, and tipping habits are far from universal. I recently dove in Cape Town, Sout Africa with some French women; the DM spent a lot of time with them (much less with us) and they didn't tip him. When asked about it later, he said the French and other europeans rarely tip, as it is not as much a part of their culture.
In some places in the caribbean and Mexico, the tip is added to your bill automatically, much like some places in the US.
As for tipping DMs and instructors, I can only relate my personal experiences: DMs rarely get paid, so I try to give them $5 - $10 a tank, even if it is not expected. I have treated instructors, owners and DMs to "adult beverages" lunch and even dinner, not because I had to, but because I wanted to.
My wife recently took a DSD through our local shop, and I had no hesitation tipping the DM - he spent about 90 minutes with her just in the water, and several hours overall, to make her feel comfortable and to get her to relax. This was money well spent, because we all know the rule:
"Happy wife = Happy Life!"

KevinL

Back
Top Bottom