Tipping instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user:
the resort covered the instr.trip after a agreed amount of business,he still most likely paid his airfare.The cost to you would stay the same even if the group is too small to earn a group leader spot.
why not tip?? remember this is a business trip for the instructor not a vacation.Take him out to dinner,he will probably buy you some drinks,light up this is supposed to be fun...If it was a vacation for me I would not have to answer any questions, not do any training,not fix any equipment,not help with dive/resort problems, not work out any delays with airlines..It would be only me and the wife and my cameras..

The instructor in question happens to be my best friend and we've been discussing the idea of tipping lately. I am not sure if I'm taking a class on the trip yet, but several of the people on this trip are going just for certification dives. He said he didn't care so much about himself but wanted to make sure we all knew about tipping the DMs. I know that a good bit of the trip was put together while at the dive shop, where he is paid his normal wage, however we spent several off hours at my house putting the itenerary together to make sure everyone's classes were taken care and not blow our limits for the day. I agree to a certain extent that it isn't a vacation for the instructor, however I am sure it is a fine line for some people since it isn't exactly like gruding it out at the office, restaurant, etc. all day long either. I think buying him a couple drinks at dinner is probably a good idea to give back but also not break the bank.

For the discussion on tipping, i guess most of the instructor and DM's are not expecting tips so it will really be up to the individual customer whether to tip or not.

What i would like to clarify, at least in the context of where i stay and dive, is that we instructor are not paid fixed wages and only receive an amount less than SGD$50(depending on diveshop) per student for the whole diving course when they are teaching. DM's are paid the same amount when they lead dive based on per diver they are leading.

Furthermore, the instructors here have to take care of everything for the course ( from preparation of equipment, maintenance of equipment to the travel arrangement). Thus saying that Instructor earn more then DM are not appropriate, taking into consideration that a typical course takes more time then a dive trip.

just my 2 cents

Tipping, clearly a question of tradition, ethnicity, national origin, etc. No easy answers. But what has been pointed out here, clearly, is the rather poor level of compensation that Instructors receive. Is that a poor career choice? Maybe. Does low pay oblige the consumer to supplement it? Maybe. All these things get back to the traditions of the industry and the feelings of the consumer.

Let me begin by stating that I am now an avowed amateur instructor, I do it for the love of diving and such (and oddly enough, I’ve been and continue to be, paid much more than my “professional” counterparts, but that’s another story). I’ve never been tipped, I’ve never expected tips and frankly I’d find being tipped for Diving Instruction demeaning.

But let me shift the focus a little for a moment (ducking to avoid the topic police). For all the waddle-daddle in the diving industry about professional this and professional that … it’s a truck full of solid waste. While the first definition of profession is: “an occupation or career,” it is usually taken to mean the second definition of, “An occupation, such as law, medicine, or engineering, that requires considerable training and specialized study.”

So those folks who took exception to tipping their “professional” Diving Instructor are confusing the pose of the industry with reality. Your instructor is not very likely to be a “professional.” Dive instructors, from what I can tell are paid either to work in a shop at little more than standard retail wages (would $10 to $12 be about right in the US?) or are subcontracted on a per student piecework rate that after expenses comes out about the same. I’m not the first in this string to observe that they do not have professional backgrounds do not and receive professional wages. By and large they are cannon fodder for the industry with no real career path, just the knowledge that when they burn out in two or three years and go find a real career there is a new crop coming up through the system to replace them. It’s a crying shame.

Consider: What do you pay your tennis pro? What do you pay your golf pro? Neither of those have your life (or the life of your loved ones) in their hands, but I’m sure that they make at least twice what a dive pro does.

Whom do I tip? I never thought about it before. I always tip my wait staff, cabdriver, boatman, bellman, barber, grocery clerk (if they “help me” to my car), deliverymen, paperboy, milkman, maybe others. I sometimes tip the guys at the lube center, a gas station attendant (at least in Oregon), counter help and my mechanic. I never tip my doctor, lawyer, dentist, teacher, airplane pilot, postman, or librarian. There is not complete rhyme or reason is there?

Anyway, I do not consume diving instruction services so I’ve never faced this question. I think that I’d add diving instructors to the list of those whom I tip, if just because it seems to me that the diving industry (which though on occasion I disparage, I do benefit from) has sold them a bill of goods and that makes me feel bad.

Oh, I thought you meant like cow tipping.

Gee I would never do that. Tip the instructor? Sure, why not. Right into the ocean when he's not looking.

Then I'd give him $50

Just to add my 2¢...

To me, it depends on where you get certified. I did my certification through Sports Chalet in California. Since the instructors there are also employees of one of the biggest sports supermarkets in the world, I did not find it necessary to tip, nor was it suggested or even hinted at.

However, had I taken certification classes from a private dive boat or small dive shop, I might reconsider that. I know some people do classes while on vacation, e.g. off a live-aboard, and I would probably tip in that situation, but save the majority of my tip for the crew (which probably gets paid even less than the DI).

Regardless, I would definitely buy the instructor several beers and some pizza afterwards. :D

Cheers,
Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom