Tipping on a liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I pray for the day when I can book a dive trip--even a day boat--that says "10% service charge included that is shared equally among the staff--no additional gratuity is requested or permitted." It would reduce diver anxiety and avoid dozens of threads on SB. Who's with me on this?

Then, wouldn't you be one of the folks who, when they don't like one or more of the crew, were pissed off at having the gratuity automatically added?

Then, wouldn't you be one of the folks who, when they don't like one or more of the crew, were pissed off at having the gratuity automatically added?

Nah. I'm the guy who, when the restaurant server screws up, complains to the manager but still tips 20% because that's what's expected in the US as part of their compensation. It's up to the manager to correct things with the employees, not me.

Nah. I'm the guy who, when the restaurant server screws up, complains to the manager but still tips 20% because that's what's expected in the US as part of their compensation. It's up to the manager to correct things with the employees, not me.

Huh. Me too. And a server will always do better with me if the restaurant does not automatically add the tip. And any more, I ALWAYS check.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom