Tippping Instructor Etiquette

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yikes, hopefully your instructor won't find this one

Hopefully he will.
Th O/W one that is,
actually, i hope the AOW one does too, what a great guy, pleasant person, good teacher, tops all around.

point of fact, 10 years as a ski instructor, I know a few things about teaching complex physical skills to a huge variety of students.

I've gotten dinners, cash, little gifts, etc. The best one though are the emails and notes weeks or months later thanking me for giving them an education that makes them go "what the hell are they doing" when they see other classes kneeling on the bottom for skills and seemingly not knowing what trim and buoyancy mean.

i think its just great that you thought enough of your experience to write!!!!!!!
welcome aboard!!!
.....a good diver is always learning....too true!!!!!!
yaeg

Money must be tight up there in Vermont, eh?

I recently tipped a Divemaster at a DUI drysuit demo dive in the Portland CT. Quarry for taking his time to dive with me. It warmed me to see the thrill I gave to him, but I don't think he knew what the first DRY dive for me was like. I hope to become a diver to others someday also.

Send him a check. Talk's cheap.

I value positive feedback far more than a tip. A gratuity is nice if it's made as a gesture of thanks but if someone does it because it's a social norm then I'd rather just get a sincere "thank you".

R..

Me and my wife recently got OW cert. and wondered about tipping etiquette. I knew the instructor didn't drink much (if ever) but in socializing with him during classes we heard his wife enjoyed Kettle One vodka. We couldn't have been happy with him and he took a great deal of time with us and went above and beyond. We gladly tipped him with a 1.75L for the wife.

Back
Top Bottom